Hood paint

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi to all,

When panels are presented to a painter on a vertical or flipped over plane, they still have the ability of attracting dirt particles as such, but the prospect of contamination  is somewhat reduced. No matter how the panel is presented, the painting environment plays the biggest part in dirt contam issues.

Also, i was going to mention the semi gloss/ low sheen clear option, and since it's been raised, i'll talk about it now. Some painters like to choose this option to paint over a black base coat. Again, you can choose between a 2 Pack or a Lacquer paint for the clear. In my opinion, i see no real advantage in going this way. This is because, a low sheen clear finish will end up being just as sensitive to damage and wax problems just as straight black finish will be. The same rules will apply to contamination problems with the clear finish as it does with the straight black finish. This means that there is no real gain in using a clear paint to finish the panel. Clears will weather or break down faster than solid colors due to UV exposure.

Greg. :)
 Greg, it's good to see you back on the site, it's been awhile.

Without doubt, your professional experience, knowledge and advice is what our friend 73bluemach1 (Joe) ought to be taking.

You have raised some very interesting and informative points and from that we all learn. I have for sure and appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Geoff.

Hi to all,

When panels are presented to a painter on a vertical or flipped over plane, they still have the ability of attracting dirt particles as such, but the prospect of contamination  is somewhat reduced. No matter how the panel is presented, the painting environment plays the biggest part in dirt contam issues.

Greg.

Without doubt, your professional experience, knowledge and advice is what our friend 73bluemach1 (Joe) ought to be taking.

You have raised some very interesting and informative points and from that we all learn. I have for sure and appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Geoff.

Hi there Geoff,

Hope you're keeping well. Many thanks for your kind words. Yes, i have been busy for a long time and so have not had the time to participate in the Forum to the extent i used to.I am on a break at the moment , hence my recent write ups. For the future, i will contribute when i can. I have always enjoyed helping people as i go through my life, and i find it very rewarding as such. Helping each other through the Forum in so many ways is the foundation of the whole thing, and what makes it a great concept.

All the best,

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi to all,

Greg.

Thanks,

Geoff.

Hi there Geoff,

Hope you're keeping well. Many thanks for your kind words. Yes, i have been busy for a long time and so have not had the time to participate in the Forum to the extent i used to.I am on a break at the moment , hence my recent write ups. For the future, i will contribute when i can. I have always enjoyed helping people as i go through my life, and i find it very rewarding as such. Helping each other through the Forum in so many ways is the foundation of the whole thing, and what makes it a great concept.

All the best,

Thanks Greg and all the best to you too.

You are so right about helping people and it being the foundation of our Forum. We all have some knowledge on many things Mustang, but it's when an expert in a particular field offers his or her knowledge, that's the real bonus for us all.

Geoff.

Greg,

As Geoff mentioned, very informative and that along with all of the other info from everyone is what I needed to make my decision on what to do.

Thank You to everyone for all of the help.

I'll post pics of the of the paint job as soon as it's done in a few weeks to see what y'all think.

Thanks again,

Joe

Well I got my pony painted and finally got it back together . The only thing left to do is put the striping down the side and the back. I'm really happy with how it turned out.

One other thing that most do not do on the 73. The front side marker light frames and around the opening were also blacked out. Mine is peeling off but most still there. Every original I have viewed had them painted. The showroom brochure shows both ways but was probably change from the early builds. Also an area on each side on rear had black out. Some pics.

Looks fantastic

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I got my pony painted and finally got it back together . The only thing left to do is put the striping down the side and the back. I'm really happy with how it turned out.

Congratulations!  Hope you enjoy basking in the glow of your freshly-painted car, which looks great. Very cool color I think.

I'm getting ready to paint my 73 back to the original color of bright green gold metalic and was wondering about the black on the hood, should it be glossy or low gloss? 

Any information would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,

Joe
Hi Joe, 

That is a low gloss finish from the factory. 

Alan

Alan,

Thank you, yes that is what I ended up going with. Well actually I went with low gloss (egg shell) clear on it.

Back