Hood scoop plugs

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digithead

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang 351C-4V 4BBL 4 SPEED CONVERTIBLE White
I got a pair of these plugs for hood scoop. I am confused, they dont fit at all on my 73 convertible. Were these supposed to go direct into hood or is there some other plastic from a plenum? I have a hood with no hardware (no plenum ducts etc). I guess I thought they'd pop in from behind, but now I see screw holes to attach to something. I cant even say my hood is original or a aftermarket either. Is there a way to tell?

https://www.ohiomustang.com/store/order_page.asp?itemid=1440

digithead, if your hood is the Mach 1 (Ram Air) style then it should have two 16C630's in the front section of the hood opening. Ford called them Hood Air Scoops. The honeycomb air scoop grills (D1ZZ-16A624-A and D1ZZ-16A625-A) fastened to the rear of the 16c630's with black #8 x 5/16" long, Pan Head Phillips screws.

(Illustration from 1973-1979 Ford master parts catalog-final issue Nov 88-copyright Ford Motor Company)

001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
i too just purchased the covers.. haven't tried putting them on yet. but can they be put on with scoops in the car or do i need to remove them ??? and a big thanks for the screw size.. that really helps.

side note, it appears the car was painted with the scoops in place, for the mounting bolts under the hood are the same color..

Last edited by a moderator:
delawarebill, unless the screw holes are damaged in the 16C630 scoop you should be able to install the grills while still on the car. I wouldn't want to chance removing them and scratching the paint or breaking any paint seal you may have since you indicated they were painted while on the hood. Working on the underside of such a long hood can be a little awkward at times.

I will take some pics of mine from inside the hood. Maybe mine is aftermarket as there isnt even screw

holes on scoop part for these to mount up to.

Since my car is a 73 Convertible, and I dont see NASA/NACA hood on Marti report, is it safe to assume it was added later as a resto mod?

DOOR DATA PLATE INFORMATION

Serial Number 3F03H214577

3 1973

F Built at Dearborn

03 Mustang 2-Door Convertible

H 351-2V V-8 Engine

214577 Serial Number of this Ford scheduled for

production at Dearborn

03/73 March, 1973

76D Mustang 2-Door Convertible

9A White Paint, Ford #1619-A

CB Blue Knitted Vinyl Bucket Seats

X FMX Select Shift Automatic Transmission

2 2.75 Conventional Rear Axle

13 New York DSO (District Sales Office)

DEALER #: 13I549

Your vehicle was equipped with the following features:

- Black Power Top w/Glass Backlite

- E70X14 Belted White Sidewall Tires

- Convenience Group

- Power Steering

- AM Radio

- Appearance Protection Group

- Color Keyed Racing Mirrors

- Wheel Covers

- Rear Bumper Guards

Your vehicle was actually produced on March 30, 1973 -- five days ahead of schedule.

Since my car is a 73 Convertible, and I dont see NASA/NACA hood on Marti report, is it safe to assume it was added later as a resto mod?

DOOR DATA PLATE INFORMATION

Serial Number 3F03H214577

3 1973

F Built at Dearborn

03 Mustang 2-Door Convertible

H 351-2V V-8 Engine

214577 Serial Number of this Ford scheduled for

production at Dearborn

03/73 March, 1973

76D Mustang 2-Door Convertible

9A White Paint, Ford #1619-A

CB Blue Knitted Vinyl Bucket Seats

X FMX Select Shift Automatic Transmission

2 2.75 Conventional Rear Axle

13 New York DSO (District Sales Office)

DEALER #: 13I549

Your vehicle was equipped with the following features:

- Black Power Top w/Glass Backlite

- E70X14 Belted White Sidewall Tires

- Convenience Group

- Power Steering

- AM Radio

- Appearance Protection Group

- Color Keyed Racing Mirrors

- Wheel Covers

- Rear Bumper Guards

Your vehicle was actually produced on March 30, 1973 -- five days ahead of schedule.
From the info you have provided - I would say yes, it was added.

Do you have a build sheet and your buck tag? They can also help determine what is/was original on your car. I would say the NASA hood is extremely common mod for those wanting to customize their cars.

Ray

If your inserts are reproduction and, depending on who's metal scoop inserts you have the screw holes may or may not be drilled.

Didn't I read somewhere that the '73 H-Codes came with Ram Air? if that's the case, then there might not be anything out of the ordinary on the Marti Report regarding the hood style, and the car would be just missing the Ram Air, as opposed to having a complete hood swap.

Just a thought.

Didn't I read somewhere that the '73 H-Codes came with Ram Air? if that's the case, then there might not be anything out of the ordinary on the Marti Report regarding the hood style, and the car would be just missing the Ram Air, as opposed to having a complete hood swap.

Just a thought.

For functional Ram Air in most of 1972 and ALL of 1973 The H code Mustangs were the only ones where functional ram air could be factory-installed. It was not an automatic thing where they all came with it.

Ray.

Just a thought.

For functional Ram Air in most of 1972 and ALL of 1973 The H code Mustangs were the only ones where functional ram air could be factory-installed. It was not an automatic thing where they all came with it.

Ray.
I wonder if digithead's car was ever repainted. If so, then I'd agree that someone probably swapped hoods. If not, I'd have to wonder if someone trashed/swiped the Ram Air.

:shootself:

OK - forget everything I just said. I just checked out the car in the garage, and yeah, it's definitely a non Ram Air hood (no hood locks, for one), and the car's most likely been repainted (the TuTone black out is not quite factory correct - but does look very nice ;) ).

Could very well be a repop hood - especially if stuff's not fitting right. But it sounds like the duct pieces are the issue, since the block-off plates bolt directly to them.

In 1973 the only way for a non Mach 1 car to have a factory equipped Ram Air style hood would to have been ordered with the Tutone hood option (Non functional Nasa hood with twist style hood locks) or to have the H code and optional Ram Air. Both were extra cost options (and would have included tu-tone paint and hood locks) and would have been listed in the "Equipped with the following features" section.

As Don suggested you could drill the mounting holes and just use self tapping screws in place of the machine screws I suggested earlier. There are OE Ford units listed on E-Bay but you run the chance of them not fitting your hood if it is a repop unit.

In 1973 the only way for a non Mach 1 car to have a factory equipped Ram Air style hood would to have been ordered with the Tutone hood option (Non functional Nasa hood with twist style hood locks) or to have the H code and optional Ram Air. Both were extra cost options (and would have included tu-tone paint and hood locks) and would have been listed in the "Equipped with the following features" section.

As Don suggested you could drill the mounting holes and just use self tapping screws in place of the machine screws I suggested earlier. There are OE Ford units listed on E-Bay but you run the chance of them not fitting your hood it it is a repop unit.
I have not heard any issues of repro bezels fitting factory hoods or factory bezels fitting repro hoods

there are issues with them. i remember they were cast very rough the fit was terrible and looked like somebody in china hand sanded or filed them to try and improve the shape. one was kind of warped but they did have drilled and tapped holes for the inserts and the studs for the hood.

this was like 11 years ago now, i needed to replace my originals which were all stripped out and one side was cracked from an accident.

i ended up boxing the reproduction ducts and i got 2 good condition used ones off a donor mach 1. i forgot about the reproduction ducts till a couple of years ago when i gave them away to another member. the reason i never returned them was at the time i didn't have any options i thought i would try and make them work then some time after that i got the oem used ones and forgot about the reproductions.

the reproduction honeycomb inserts were fine from what i remember but the hood ducts were terrible compared to oem.

72HCODE, sorta along the lines I was thinking. Hate to suggest some one try a OE Ford part on a repo hood and then it not fit! Opinions are varied on repo parts offered. I have a lot friends who are involved in the restoration of cars and the common theme I hear from them is the majority of the parts they receive are ill fitting junk! The grills offered I believe are from original Ford tooling. I would still try to drill the scoops on the hood since you know they do fit.

Digithead, my 1973 mustang convertible marti report is nearly identical to yours, mine is also an H code car, and mine has the NASA hood with no hood pins. My Marti report does not list the NASA hood. I assumed the hood was added at some point but I am curious like you if the hoods were factory installed.

What wheels were on your mustang from the factory? My mustang came with a nice set of the factory aluminum slotted wheels, but these also were not on my Marti report.

Gary

01e4583b026e40a29991b4f754a753a4.jpg

9923d55168b17ddc08026e2bd0bf2353.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i got mine on without a ton of problems.. i had to remove the scoops and found the old bolts snaped off.. drilled and taped and put on.. i will say it WAS easier to remove the scoops and do your thing then re-install.. not working on your back..

Hi all. Sorry I have been away and super busy with work (self employed, 2 businesses). So back on my hood scoops. Today I took pics after some car washing. maybe this sheds light. This is my first mustang so forgive the ignorance. Maybe its just totally aftermarket hood as when its closed the lines dont match to fender curves all that well but I am no expert. So heres the scoops. See what I mean? How can any plug attach to these? Theres no way to mount?

hoodscoop1.JPG

hoodscoop2.JPG

remove the 5 nuts holding the scoops on. then place the cones u have up against the back of the scoops and u'll see where the 3 holes need to be to attach. mine didn't have the center one, but after drilling and taping it fit great.. remove the scoops carefully cause it's much easier to do the job.. and the scoops will go back on with the plates installed and snug the 5 nuts on.. done..

Back