Hood scoops 71 Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After doing the install and driving the car several times now I found out that it is running a little warmer with them in and drilled vs not having them in at all. Since I have a holley Sniper installed I'm able to look at the logs I have saved and compare the before and after coolant temperatures. I have also made sure that the outside air temperatures were fairly the same to make sure I was comparing apples to apples. Without inserts engine running average temp of about 180 to 183. With inserts in and drilled I'm running more at the 185 range. I have a 180 thermostat. Never drove it with them blocked all together but I would think it would be a little higher temp yet.
Hi again Kilgon,

Thanks for your feedback. As to exactly what is happening with your temp increase situation appears to be somewhat of a mystery. In any case, it shows that you are not gaining or benefiting, in lower running temps, from having drilled out the scoop hole bungs.

In my case as i said before, the only gain or benefit for me was say when stopped at traffic lights for a while (any time of the year), my water temp rose from my normal running temp of 180F up to a max of around 210F. When i moved out, and got going back to normal flowing traffic driving speeds again, my water temp gauge moved back to the 180F mark more quickly than it did before i drilled the bungs out. My thermo is set to 180F also. As far as running or driving my car around, and experiencing lower temps than i did before, i have noticed no improvement or change in that regard.

So in my case, that is the only gain i have picked up on. No big deal really i guess, but a help in getting my engine to cool back down to normal, faster than before. A small kind of gain, but a gain never the less. Speaking in general terms, i would imagine there would be more benefits in looking into running upgraded electric thermo fan setups, in regards achieving lower running temps. Upgrading in that regard does not come cheap for decent quality performance systems.

Greg.

Hi again Kilgon,

Thanks for your feedback. As to exactly what is happening with your temp increase situation appears to be somewhat of a mystery. In any case, it shows that you are not gaining or benefiting, in lower running temps, from having drilled out the scoop hole bungs.

In my case as i said before, the only gain or benefit for me was say when stopped at traffic lights for a while (any time of the year), my water temp rose from my normal running temp of 180F up to a max of around 210F. When i moved out, and got going back to normal flowing traffic driving speeds again, my water temp gauge moved back to the 180F mark more quickly than it did before i drilled the bungs out. My thermo is set to 180F also. As far as running or driving my car around, and experiencing lower temps than i did before, i have noticed no improvement or change in that regard.

So in my case, that is the only gain i have picked up on. No big deal really i guess, but a help in getting my engine to cool back down to normal, faster than before. A small kind of gain, but a gain never the less. Speaking in general terms, i would imagine there would be more benefits in looking into running upgraded electric thermo fan setups, in regards achieving lower running temps. Upgrading in that regard does not come cheap for decent quality performance systems.

Greg.
Hey Greg, I think we both are on the same page overall. I think with the scoops open all the way it creates a scavenger effect drawing more air across the engine thus lowering the temperature a few degrees. When the inserts are drilled and install I feel it cuts down on this effect causing the temperature to rise a few degrees. Think of it as a venturi effect. I could be way out in left field on this but in my mind it makes sense . As mentioned by others in this post it would be great to see a wind tunnel test to see the difference in flow and pressure with the different configurations. I've been wanting to add hood locks for both looks and safety but haven't found a set to fit my budget right now. Also seems like they are out of stock at most of the vendors. I'll probably will rig up a safety cable of some type for now.

I have run mine without the scoop inserts for many years. My car is C code non-ram air, no twist lock from factory. I never experienced hood lifting and the car saw regular 80+ Highway speeds as a daily driver for more than 10 years. I had speedometer buried on more than one occasion, no hood lifting and no twist locks.

Back