Hooker headers - super comp to comp swap

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To me it looks like our sets are the same, the port sizes look the same but definatly smaller than the 2" primary super comps. I had a heck of a time getting those to seal, I HAD to use the Hooker gaskets.

Do you have some heads you can put the gasket against to see how much these block the ports? How about a few shots of the gaskets on the headers? I know the gaskets I used for were the same for both. I tossed them... I wish I had them so we could look at where the super comps sealed.

Anyone with some 4v heads they can shoot a few pics with a tape measure? I would like to know the port size.

Mine (6925) sealed up just fine first time.

Last edited by a moderator:
To me it looks like our sets are the same, the port sizes look the same but definatly smaller than the 2" primary super comps. I had a heck of a time getting those to seal, I HAD to use the Hooker gaskets.

Do you have some heads you can put the gasket against to see how much these block the ports? How about a few shots of the gaskets on the headers? I know the gaskets I used for were the same for both. I tossed them... I wish I had them so we could look at where the super comps sealed.

Anyone with some 4v heads they can shoot a few pics with a tape measure? I would like to know the port size.

Mine (6925) sealed up just fine first time.
I got my heads laying in the back room..i cant take no pics thou till later...I got band pratice all day...wont be back till late......if no one helps ya...ill break out the heads and tape by morning time....and check...and i have a set of new in box hooker headers i can check for ya too.

Whoops, 6915, not 6925. Here are some more pics. Turns out I still had the gaskets from the super comps. These are hooker gaskets.

I did find the used super comp gaskets. I tooks some more pics:

supercomps.

P1010360.jpg

P1010361.jpg

Here is the gasket, this is the 'head' side.

P1010365.jpg

And the 4v super comp header side

P1010369.jpg

Here's a shot of the header side. You can see how close it is for sealing.

P1010370.jpg

And finally, a shot of the port to bolt hole.

P1010371.jpg

Looks like the Hooker gaskets are slightly smaller than the port exit in the head.

IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_0057.jpg

I'm fine with it. We all know the ports are redonkulously sized, and the headers are gonna flow way more than the manifolds ever did.

Thanks for taking the time to take the pictures. I am not too worried about the slight overlap either. The super comps do have a little more room but they also don't match up 'perfect'. It would take a bit of work to get a header to 'port match'. I would be interested to see the headman version of the headers, their primary tubes are between the super comp and comp in size.

I crawled back under the car for a differen reason and while there snapped a picture of the clearance with the comps. About 5"

Here is the pic of the hooker competition:

and another pasting of the super comps from a previous page:

P1010340.jpg

Again, your results will vary but figure the competition are about an inch higher.

Oddly enough, I can take the Hooker SC headers on and off of my '72 Mach 1 without any real struggle. I take off the starter and the right side will come out of the top. The left will lower out the bottom. All by simply jacking up the front about 6 inches. I'm running a C6 so there's no z-bar issues.

Oddly enough, I can take the Hooker SC headers on and off of my '72 Mach 1 without any real struggle. I take off the starter and the right side will come out of the top. The left will lower out the bottom. All by simply jacking up the front about 6 inches. I'm running a C6 so there's no z-bar issues.

Danger zombies ahead!

I hope he figured it out as it was 10 yrs ago. 🤪

Back