Hoping to Reenter World of Mustang Ownership after 30 Years

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Convertible Survivor
[url=https://ibb.co/maAP6G][img]https://preview.ibb.co/d0waDw/1972_Ford_Mustang_in_Sun_City_AZ.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=https://imgbb.com/]upload photo to website[/url]
Greetings.  After owning a 1969 Mustang Grande early in life and restoring my family's 1966 Mustang Coupe, I have been away from Mustang ownership for about 30 years.  I am hoping to work out the purchase of a 1972 survivor convertible in the coming weeks.  If all goes well, I will be spending some time here trying to learn some tips on how to spruce up this car.  No major restoration is planned.  I am hoping for a relatively low maintenance cruiser to enjoy in the Phoenix sun.

fast picture upload

I had not noticed the mirror, but now that you mention it, it does not look like some of the others I can see in pictures. I will have to see if this one was replaced and if it matches the other side.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had not noticed the mirror, but now that you mention it, it does not look like some of the others I can see in pictures.  I will have to see if this one was replaced and if it matches the other side.
That mirror does not appear to be factory. I think the options were the color keyed racing mirror or a chrome one.

Also the wheels are from a '73. The only year those wheels were offered.

I had not noticed the mirror, but now that you mention it, it does not look like some of the others I can see in pictures.  I will have to see if this one was replaced and if it matches the other side.
That mirror does not appear to be factory. I think the options were the color keyed racing mirror or a chrome one.

Also the wheels are from a '73. The only year those wheels were offered.
Nice looking convertible. I did notice that the antenna is on the wrong side of car, supposed to be on the passenger side...

Looks like there are a few oddities going on here. I knew about the non-stock wheels - the original wheel covers are in the trunk. The current owner has owned it for about 40 years, even knew the original owner, but there is a several year period unaccounted for during the 70s. The antenna is a weird one, as I imagine just about every car came with one. Mirrors might be explainable, but there was no mention of them by the owner. I will have to look closely for other abnormalities before committing to the purchase. Thanks for the keen sight and insight.

Hi From MESA Arizona. I have over 30 years of 73 mustang ownership. Only two cars. But if you want me to go take a look at it for ya let me know. If you get it we should hook up! I had kind of attempted a Phoenix Area get together a couple of years ago but it fizzled.

My 73 convertible is modified.

cy9Nvle.jpg

Hi From MESA Arizona. I have over 30 years of 73 mustang ownership. Only two cars. But if you want me to go take a look at it for ya let me know. If you get it we should hook up! I had kind of attempted a Phoenix Area get together a couple of years ago but it fizzled.

My 73 convertible is modified, including the racing mirrors. It came with the 'lipstick' mirror on driver side only.

cy9Nvle.jpg

Welcome to the group. Hope the deal works out to your liking. Hope the feedback you received thus far helps with your research and maybe negotiations. Very knowledgeable group here to assist any way we can. If this deal doesn't work out stay on board. Maybe we can help you find another one, and welcome from West Tennessee.

I have already learned a lot, between the welcome posts and quite a bit of searching the site. If this particular vehicle does not become mine, I have already started down the path toward vintage Mustang ownership. When I owned them before, they were just used cars, now they are classics. My wife has always had it in the back of her mind to get me one and this opportunity just fell into ours laps (local Craigslist ad for a garage sale mentioned the car). If this one does not happen, I suspect that a different one will.

One important question - my '69 had a 351 with more power than a teenager should have had, my '66 had a 200 and had no power. With all the extra weight of the '72 model, will the 250 engine have enough power? The main use is around town cruising on flat land in Phoenix during the months I am there, but I might want to take some longer trips and head to the mountains.

The 250 6 cylinder will run the car fine. One thing to keep in your mind the 5 cylinder does hurt the value tremendously. Go to Ebay and check for Sold cars for value. In my mind they are worth about 1/2 what a 351 Cleveland would be.

I think the wheels are just aftermarket I do not see the black line in the outer edge and the radius looks wrong in the wheel.

I have one car that came without a radio a 73 vert. Just odd to see antenna on the drivers side.

This car seems like a good entry level purchase. It is affordable because it is not particularly collectible. If it were rare or had a much larger engine, I could not afford it.

Back