Hose from pcv valve to air cleaner??

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Djustham

Reaction score
1971n Mach 1

Cant seem to find a hose that fits over the pcv valve and also onto the air cleaner port.  Using a air/vapor rubber hose and way too tight on both.

Any thoughts?

The PCV valve should connect to the carb, not the air cleaner. That is on the driver side. The grommet on the pass. side v/cover should have a plastic tube angled at 45* and that connects to the air cleaner. The PCV usually connects at the base of the carb (in front), but that depends on the carb you have. On mine for example with a Holley 4150 (670cfm), I made up a steel tube that runs around the back of the carb, around to the front where it connects with a short rubber hose. I did this for looks because a rubber hose just to the front of the Holley, looked messy. If I recall, the PCV on the original Autolite 4300 connected at the back. Here's a couple of pics.

IMG_1074.1.JPG

DSC00353.1.JPG

IMG_1071.1.JPG

Thanks for the info

On the passenger side there is just a plastic nub that sticks out of the air cleaner and hose wont go over it.

Looks like your piece comes out of air cleaner and turns 90 degrees.  Maybe I need to replace that piece?

Picture attached.

Thanks'

IMG_1393.jpg

@Stanglover that is exactly the piece I need too.

Also, on the vapor recovery hose (right next to the hose your pointing out), does it come off at 90 degrees from the air filter housing?  Or is it angled downward?  I keep seeing the angled ones on eBay, but not the straight ones.

Thanks,

Nick 

If this all has a happy ending, I'm chasing these connections also.  I was sent a link to one of the straight connections for emission tube @ $38 but chose to pass on this.

The crankcase PCV filter housing and pad plus the spring clip are not so bad but that rubber 90 deg elbow is the kicker.

I'm in Australia so crappy exchange rate plus postage come in to play.  Second hand / grubby used / no filter pad ?  no problem, I can deal with these.  All options considered.

Thanks folks.

PKJ

@Stanglover that is exactly the piece I need too.

Also, on the vapor recovery hose (right next to the hose your pointing out), does it come off at 90 degrees from the air filter housing?  Or is it angled downward?  I keep seeing the angled ones on eBay, but not the straight ones.

Thanks,

Nick 
The vapor recovery tube is a twist in connection. There was only ever the straight one like you see on mine. The hose I found was from NAPPA , 3/4" aluminum . I painted it with texture black paint to look more like the original paper like one, which are no longer available. There are other suppliers of the aluminum hose.

I think your best bet is to find a used one. Try Don at OMS or Motor City Mustangs.

That is NOT a pcv filter it is passenger side valve cover to air cleaner engine breather fitting. The pcv goes straight to carb baseplate.

That is NOT a pcv filter it is passenger side valve cover to air cleaner engine breather fitting. The pcv goes straight to carb baseplate.
What would happen if you were to replace the hose connection to a PCV filter instead? I'm asking because at the end of the day its a filter at the end of the connection.

What would happen if you were to replace the hose connection to a PCV filter instead? I'm asking because at the end of the day its a filter at the end of the connection.
Are you thinking of getting rid of the hoses altogether and just using breather filters?  If so, everyone did that back when I was young.  Since the PCV system is part of the "smog controls", we just got rid of it.  HOWEVER, I hope with age comes wisdom.  

The PCV system is designed to catch blow-by gasses, oil vapor, etc. from the crankcase and gives them a path to get burnt off.  The PCV carb spacer or carb port (depending on your configuration) provides vacuum that draws fresh air from the breather filter (passenger-side air cleaner housing), through the breather tube into the passenger-side valve cover, through the crankcase to the PCV valve (driver-side valve cover), though the PCV valve hose to the carb spacer or carb port, and into the intake manifold/cylinders.

Hopefully, that covers the "what."  Now, the "why."  After years of running with and without PCV, I've seen no difference in power or gas mileage.  So pulling all that out just because it was a "smog control" was just our ignorance.  What I did notice was, when running open breathers, my car/garage always had that old car smell.  Think about it, blow-by gas, oil vapor, gas tank vapors all need somewhere to go, i.e. the atmosphere around the car.  If you're into that, great (please keep in mind that oil/gas vapors are carcinogenic).  If not, get your PCV (and vapor recovery) systems working.  It's a good way to spend money on car parts with the wife's blessing (at least that's working for me).

What effect would replacing the passenger side with an open air breather but keeping the PCV valve have? Other than eliminating the hose between the valve cover and air cleaner?
I would think, no difference when the engine is running.  When the engine is off, you're venting straight to atmosphere.  

In the original PCV system, vapors coming up the passenger-side valve cover go through a somewhat small breather tube into the air cleaner housing.  The breather tube's size limits flow (that's the plan at least), but there's also a breather filter that helps collect some of the vapor (that breather filter gets oily, right?).  Those vapors collect as liquid and are discarded when you change the filter, or they get sucked back through PCV or drawn into the top of the carb.  

PCV isn't a perfect system, but wasn't horrible for the time.  Today's engines are pretty sealed tight, so the cars/your garage don't smell like old car anymore.

Are you thinking of getting rid of the hoses altogether and just using breather filters?  If so, everyone did that back when I was young.  Since the PCV system is part of the "smog controls", we just got rid of it.  HOWEVER, I hope with age comes wisdom.  

What I did notice was, when running open breathers, my car/garage always had that old car smell.  Think about it, blow-by gas, oil vapor, gas tank vapors all need somewhere to go, i.e. the atmosphere around the car.  If you're into that, great (please keep in mind that oil/gas vapors are carcinogenic).  If not, get your PCV (and vapor recovery) systems working.  It's a good way to spend money on car parts with the wife's blessing (at least that's working for me).
yeaahh..... the old car smell im not going to be all too happy with that. Honestly i was just concerned with cleaning up the engine compartment from soo many hoses. You bring up a good point. 

Back