Hose Leaking

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible (Mach I Tribute)
Christine's been sitting for about 3 weeks and today I look under her a see a leak that's new. Upon further research it appears to be leaking from a hose.

If you look at the picture it's the hose on the right side just south of the screw clamp and under the nipple. I can even turn the hose a little, so it's not secured properly. There's also a metal cylinder attached to it on the underside.

Any idea of what hose this is as it doesn't look to complicated to change. One end is mounted into the firewall and the other end is just left of the thermostat housing.

IMAG0211.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Heater hose that carries hot coolant water to heater core inside the car. The silver piece is the flapper valve that allows the coolant to flow into the car when you turn the heater on. It is vacuum operated and that is the hose coming from it.

Heater hose that carries hot coolant water to heater core inside the car. The silver piece is the flapper valve that allows the coolant to flow into the car when you turn the heater on. It is vacuum operated and that is the hose coming from it.
So I guess I can't run one full piece of hose, but need to split it as shown?

IF you take out that valve the heater will always be on. Use a screw type clamp if you don't care about originality. Also are you sure you are using the correct diameter hose?

IF you take out that valve the heater will always be on. Use a screw type clamp if you don't care about originality. Also are you sure you are using the correct diameter hose?
Not big on originality, but not sure if the hose is leaking where the existant clamp is located. Will need to look the hose area over a little closer.

you can just replace it.

it is possible the plastic part of the valve is cracked and you are getting a leak.

or it could be loose fittings.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/66-67-68-69-70-71-72-73-MUSTANG-HEATER-CONTROL-VALVE-/180295029391?fits=Year%3A1971|Model%3AMustang&hash=item29fa6bd28f:m:mQUDEkKSHjnoALx0HTBdt6w&vxp=mtr

if you just jump the valve the heater will be on all the time, and you want to make sure you cap off the hose to the control valve to prevent a vacuum leak.

me i would replace the valve if tightening the hoses doesn't work.

you can just replace it.

it is possible the plastic part of the valve is cracked and you are getting a leak.

or it could be loose fittings.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/66-67-68-69-70-71-72-73-MUSTANG-HEATER-CONTROL-VALVE-/180295029391?fits=Year%3A1971|Model%3AMustang&hash=item29fa6bd28f:m:mQUDEkKSHjnoALx0HTBdt6w&vxp=mtr

if you just jump the valve the heater will be on all the time, and you want to make sure you cap off the hose to the control valve to prevent a vacuum leak.

me i would replace the valve if tightening the hoses doesn't work.
From what I can see, there's only one clamp on one of the ends of the hose for the heater control valve. Shouldn't there be a clamp on both ends?

As per pic I can twist the lower end of the hose and it moves. That's why I feel it's missing a clamp.

Back