How aggressive is this cam????

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1, Q code 351CJ, 4 speed.
A friend gave me a solid roller cam he used in his drag car before going bigger. The cam card was lost when he moved. I called Chet Herbert cams and got the specs of the cam. 

The specs are:

Part #H6H

258/270 E

685 Intake

683 Exhaust

108 lobe center

Will this work in my 460? I plan to use a stroker kit and do the recommended blending work on the heads. Per my earlier posts the heads have already been setup with screw in studs and guide plates.

It is going in my 1972 Mach 1 factory 4 speed posi car. It is a weekend cruiser car not a daily driver but I still want to pass by at least every other gas station
tango_face_grin.png

Thanks

Wade

A friend gave me a solid roller cam he used in his drag car before going bigger. The cam card was lost when he moved. I called Chet Herbert cams and got the specs of the cam. 

The specs are:

Part #H6H

258/270 E

685 Intake

683 Exhaust

108 lobe center

Will this work in my 460? I plan to use a stroker kit and do the recommended blending work on the heads. Per my earlier posts the heads have already been setup with screw in studs and guide plates.

It is going in my 1972 Mach 1 factory 4 speed posi car. It is a weekend cruiser car not a daily driver but I still want to pass by at least every other gas station
tango_face_grin.png

Thanks

Wade
That's pretty aggressive on the lift, and I'm not sure what lift the duration is measured at. It could potentially be extremely agressive if it's @.050 lol. You'd definitely need a good spring that doesn't go solid at that lift, and most likely some kind of vacuum pump to run power brakes. I don't think it's a "cruiser" cam, it'll sound really cool if you have some compression but you probably won't see power until 4-5000 RPM up to 8k or so. It's also worth mentioning that if you're not already running a solid roller, you might be spending $700+ on just the lifters if you want them to last. I sure did :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a street cam at all. Way to aggressive and will require a pile 'o cash to buy the parts to support it's potential. Just to be realistic, you would end up either replacing, (or will be breaking) every piece of your existing drivetrain to support a 500+ cubic inch engine. It's also a mechanical roller cam, which beats the bejusus out of valvetrain components.

http://www.herbertcams.com/bbf-roller-cam-260-270-dur-050-685-685-108lc-3200-7200/

Here's a couple builds that used that cam.

http://www.460ford.com/forum/40-engine-build-archive/216290-501-build.html

For a weekend driver/fun street car, you will want to stay in the 230*~240* @ .050" range, with lift topping out around .580 ~ .600. Best bet is to talk to your engine builder (or an experienced BBF builder) and see what he recommends for your intended usage with your cubic inch range.

"You'll shoot your eye out!"

With a properly built engine running that cam, you will twist your car up like a pretzel if you get traction, unless you have added subframe connectors and a properly tied in roll cage.

Not a good street cam choice, but it would be a shitload of fun and would probably still manage a respectable 4-5 mpg's on 110

Back