How bad do your end caps fit?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my humble opinionyou have multiple problems.

1. whenever the top section of the qtr was sectioned it appears to have been misaligned. If you look at the area above the taillight, it sags low in the seam where the taillight panel joins the filler panel, this would affect the height of the top of your qtr panel

2. when the new qtr was installed the one pic shows me that there isn't enough curve to the outside skin.

all these little factors will change the overall fitment. I don't think you'll find and qtr extention that will fit as you wish. I read where one person said heat and shape. might wanna check the type of metal first. Good luck

Get a different end cap & try that..Its possible when you sectioned in the top part that its misaligned to the rain gutter edge or the edge itself was off from the accident..Any which way you need a fix..If a new end cap dosn't work..Your going to have to do some molding cutting filler work on the end cap..Use fiberall
+1 That is the route I would go as well

In my humble opinionyou have multiple problems.

1. whenever the top section of the qtr was sectioned it appears to have been misaligned. If you look at the area above the taillight, it sags low in the seam where the taillight panel joins the filler panel, this would affect the height of the top of your qtr panel
If that were so, the trunk wouldn't line up in height - I have no shims under it. The quarter panel lip was welded lower than the trunk extension before I hacked the car up to begin with, and there are factory welds between the two panels proving so (even though the taillight panel was dealer-replaced at one point - brazed repairs indicate the swap):

71_mustang_92.jpg

2. when the new qtr was installed the one pic shows me that there isn't enough curve to the outside skin.
Take a look at the later photos. I already sectioned and re-shaped the side of the quarter (which isn't particularly the issue at this point, IMO).

-Kurt

Get a different end cap & try that..Its possible when you sectioned in the top part that its misaligned to the rain gutter edge or the edge itself was off from the accident..Any which way you need a fix..If a new end cap dosn't work..Your going to have to do some molding cutting filler work on the end cap..Use fiberall
I thought of that, Q. If anything, I fiddled to push the gutter outwards a bit. You can see that the gutter has been pushed in slightly from the accident - note the two warps in it:

71_mustang_136.jpg

I pulled the warps out by bringing the end cap face backwards at the 90 degree corner. Once I did so, the cap lined up to the top curve of the trunk perfectly.

A fellow 7173 member in North Miami is going to hook me up with a pair of NOS end caps. We'll see how that cap fits before I do anything to the panel.

One other thing - I still have the wrecked panel sitting around here. I ought to check the end cap's fit on it (!)

-Kurt

One other thing - I still have the wrecked panel sitting around here. I ought to check the end cap's fit on it (!)
Gentlemen, we are getting to the bottom of this - the donor end cap is also wider than the original panel.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
I did not mean to P in your Wheaties.. But your in fla. and I'm in Ohio, all I have to go by is your pics. And the area I was talking about is clear to the ouside of the taillight hole. It appears to get closer to the opening the farther it goes. Now you have to understand I'm no expert I'm only 63 and started doing this stuff when I was 15 ,with yrs with GM, a little with Ford and even RollsRoice as an authorized warranty tech. But I'm sure you are going to figure it out, get r done my friend.. Just remember once they have been hit there are no rules and no right parts you have to make everything work as a unit

Last edited by a moderator:
I did not mean to P in your Wheaties.. But your in fla. and I'm in Ohio, all I have to go by is your pics. And the area I was talking about is clear to the ouside of the taillight hole. It appears to get closer to the opening the farther it goes. Now you have to understand I'm no expert I'm only 63 and started doing this stuff when I was 15 ,with yrs with GM, a little with Ford and even RollsRoice as an authorized warranty tech. But I'm sure you are going to figure it out, get r done my friend.. Just remember once they have been hit there are no rules and no right parts you have to make everything work as a unit
No disrespect intended. Just seeing it a bit differently from this end. Granted, it helps to be here - even more so to have been privy to every weld and adjustment along the way.

Keep the advice coming - regardless of the actual problem on the car, every suggestion keeps me vigilant in my cutting and welding on this car and any of those that I may work on in the future.

That said, I take it you're referring to the flange where the taillight panel is lapped against the end of the quarter, correct? I do notice that it doesn't keep a consistent line, but it fit like that to start with. Not sure I follow you though - any chance you can elaborate on the problem spot?

-Kurt

Back