How do I get around inner wheel wells to strip/paint

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 mustang convertible(some day)
I'm working on my trunk and I got a little carried away with a stripper experiment(not the kind that give lap dances) . Then I realized I need to figure out a way to get over and around the wheel wells. Any suggestion on how to get in there. I don't care about paint just rust mitigation.

wheel well.jpg

Jim Are you sure you wan't to strip all that wheel well coating off. I just think there is little to gain with doing so.
Mike,

I sprayed easyoff in the area to take off the tar undercaoting to repaint the trunck but it took off the paint too. Now I'm worried about having exposed metal in the wheel flare as some of the easyoff got in there. I guess if I take a wire brush and some soap and clean it out real good then spray some rust/primer stuff in there it will be ok. Now more messing with chemical strippers!

-Jim

IMHO, I don't think you have a major problem.If you feel the rust is concerning enough, try one of the cheap little hand held sand blaster, altho it takes alot of vacuming and cleaning. If not that bad wire brush it, use a nuetrilizing substance to kill the oven cleaner and then a rust preventive and a bead of automotive seam sealer and your ready for paint. DO NOT use latex household cauking as it is acidic and does'nt do well on metal.

IMHO, I don't think you have a major problem.If you feel the rust is concerning enough, try one of the cheap little hand held sand blaster, altho it takes alot of vacuming and cleaning. If not that bad wire brush it, use a nuetrilizing substance to kill the oven cleaner and then a rust preventive and a bead of automotive seam sealer and your ready for paint. DO NOT use latex household cauking as it is acidic and does'nt do well on metal.
Thanks for the input. I sort of stopped detailing the trunk. Its funny, I work on one thing for a while,don't finish, then go to another. I suppose its ok doing a random order dis-assembly but I might need to get a plan when I put it back togeter providing I can.

:D

If you are worried about the seam between then wheel well and quarter, then I would use something like Eastwoods internal frame coating, which is thin and comes with a long nozzle to let it run down in the seam the best it can. Then follow over that with some cavity wax to seal the whole seam. I done this to the insides of my doors and so far no signs of rust. I daily drive my car and it's seen plenty of rain. Short of disassembling every seam, blasting, and treating them it's pretty impossible to get all the corrosion out. Cavity wax will at least seal out the air and moisture which is obviously what rust needs.

Back