How do you install center dash panel

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible
I am attempting to install the center dash panel in my 1971 Mustang but I'm having a hard time figuring out where it screws on.

I see where the four screw go that attach the radio and A/C - heater panel but I also see two screw holes near the top by the center A/C vent (see pic below - they are circled in red). So what screws do I use here? I bought an AMK set of 5 screws (F-985) that are supposed to mount the center panel but the screws are too small for the two upper holes and I don't see 5 holes. Do I need some other type of hardware?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220806-171326_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220806-171326_Gallery.jpg
    315.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I believe that the screws at the top go into your dash pad.
the screws that go through the radio bezel and center console are the other attaching screws if I recall it correctly.
the lower portion is loosely held in place by the heater cables but there are no screws down there
good luck

Dash pad screws...6 or 7 of them if I recall it correctly...all under the lip of the dash pad...I ended up buying the entire interior kit, and labeled the old ones all on disassembly (was pricy and overkill for what I needed...but worked for me)

I am attempting to install the center dash panel in my 1971 Mustang but I'm having a hard time figuring out where it screws on.

I see where the four screw go that attach the radio and A/C - heater panel but I also see two screw holes near the top by the center A/C vent (see pic below - they are circled in red). So what screws do I use here? I bought an AMK set of 5 screws (F-985) that are supposed to mount the center panel but the screws are too small for the two upper holes and I don't see 5 holes. Do I need some other type of hardware?

Thanks.
Lets clarify what you are installing. If you are installing the center bezel that has the radio and heater controls, it is held in place by the radio bezel - 4 screws plus the two at the top go into the dash pad. If you are talking about the dash pad itself, it has 3 clips under the front side and six screws. The two screws that go through the center bezel and into the dash pad plus two more on each side. I circled the four screws location for the radio bezel. I don't know why you have those two holes at the top on yours. Nothing screws into them as far as I know.

Bezel Screws.jpg 20191201_113451.jpg

Last edited:
There are four screws that hold the center dash panel in addition to the four radio bezel screws as I recall. Two go in at the top by the A/c vent and two go through the flat portion above the heater control directly in to the bottom of the dash. If you look at you picture on the bottom of the dash you can see the two outboard screw holes are where the lower screws mount. I purchase the hardware kit and the screws were too small for the two upper attachment points. I found larger pan head phillip screws and painted them black. I used hex head screws for the lower mount because it was easier for me to get them in with a socked and extension and none will ever see them once installed.

Those 2 holes also hold the center stack in….so you need it in place too

Thanks everyone for responding to my post.

My center 3 gauge panel has two holes between the map light and A/C vent that line up with the two holes in my metal dash (See pic below. Holes I'm talking about are circled in red). Not sure if this is one of the differences between 1971, 1972 and 1973 model years. Looks like I need some sort of screws there.

Also, the two holes in the metal dash looks factory like the holes were punched into my dash.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20220807_121545.jpg
    20220807_121545.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Those should screw into dash or a threaded clip….

Back