How much HP do you think this build has?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And maybe mine when it's done?
hahah, i know what your makes! :angel: don't ask me how i know! :) however, if you wanted to do more tuning it might help. hell, you could even do 1.8 rockers on that thing and it'll pick up 20hp.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/116_0307_ford_302_v8_engine_buildup/

So i was curious what some groups were advertising as real HP outta the 302 and came across this little project in the Car Craft magazine. When you read their claims you gotta wonder if they are about as honest as obama? I dunno. Having done more work with a bigger displacement engine, with better flowing heads, and getting slightly less HP, i feel like these guys are just doing a advertisment for some heads? Maybe im wrong and i have a terribly performing Cleveland...

ya ive seen that article before. Although i dont think its impossible to have 400 HP from a 302..but i think it takes alot of work and money. However i do believe that its possible to get 1 HP for every inch of displacement. So im hoping my car has 250 to the wheels. which puts me at about 330-350 at the crank. but who knows!!

These guys claimed 1.35 HP per cubic inch. That is an excessive claim. Also note their peak HP mark was at 6500rpm...on a stock 1990's engine. I have to guess they got the HP reading on the dyno a fraction of a second before a bomb went off in the dyno room. But i still dont believe them.

I had a Cleveland .040 over with 2v worked over heads. Roller rockers, ported and polished. healthy cam, msd ignition, holley 750dp. dropped a nice chunk of cash into it and had around 400-425 out of it. I think it would take a lot of go fast goodies and machine work to get a 302 naturally aspirated into the 400 range! I had a 302 built pretty stout for my bronco years ago and dropped a around 4000 bucks into it and was around 300hp. It was fun but another 100 hp would take a lot of work.

Yall need to spend some time over on the Corral or with Woody over on sbftech.com. The 400hp mark isn't that hard these days if you throw some cash at it with the 302 but keep in mind that to get that magic number you sacrifice with a cam running high into the RPM to get that number. I do agree hard to believe with a stock cam though like in the article. But they did use AFR heads which are a well known power builder for the SBF. Me I am taking the easy route and just throwing mine together with a stroker kit. Easy fast 400hp with much more mild driveable components.

I love the 351c but it simply doesn't have the amazing market or following the 302 and 351w built over such a long period of use.

Last edited by a moderator:
A Boss 351 Cleveland probably actually made about 385 from the factory and would put about 315-320 to the rear wheels.

A Boss 302 wasn't too far behind it in terms of actual numbers.

Good aftermarket Windsor heads can indeed flow better (not necessarily more) than stock cleveland heads, so I think you could get a 302 up to 350 horsepower by using 10.5:1 compression, a cam designed to allow the engine to run to 7000+ RPM and a forged crank-but a 331 or 347 would di the same with much less effort.

As to your engine, my guess is probably going to hurt your feelings, but I doubt you have more than 225 horsepower and are unlikely to be putting more than 190 to the rear wheels. Look at all the late factory 5.0's with fuel injection and years of development and you'll fin that that was about the most any of them ever really were factory rated at and the cam specs aren't too hard to find and compare to yours.

I've built a lot of 302s because after my '71, I became a Fox 5.0 fanatic. A blueprinted stock rotating assembly from a late-model 5.0 (1993 vintage), forged pistons, plasma moly rings, 9.75:1 compression, shotpeened, polished and upgraded ARP hardware for the rods, Edelbrock Performer 5.0 heads (170cc intake runner), 1.7 ratio roller rockers, street legal roller cam, shorty headers, GT40 intake - made 400 hp at the crank.

I would say with the RHS heads and the bigger cam you may have some more top end, but I would guesstimate 400-420 hp at the crank. What are your times at the track?

What is a "street legal roller cam"? Because i have a Crower roller in my Cleveland and i dont recall anyone ever saying anything about a cam grind being "street legal"....or not. So what is that?

What is a "street legal roller cam"? Because i have a Crower roller in my Cleveland and i dont recall anyone ever saying anything about a cam grind being "street legal"....or not. So what is that?
LOL

Street legal gets thrown around in the late-model circles because street legality is a legitimate concern. My '71 is registered as a collector so it doesn't need to go through emissions. I think what that means in terms of the cam design is less overlap and LSAs 112* and greater.

Bunch of variables on the op's combo. That could be as low as 230 to around 270ish rwhp depending on the correction of the Dyno. The Carcraft article can be duplicated. I have accesses to a Dyno 3 miles from home and have done many stock bottom end 90's 302's that made 330-350 at the tire through a t5. That is right at the 400 crank hp. They have an engine Dyno there also and 400 gets you 340 to the chassis Dyno through a stick but as little as 300 through a torque converter. The 340 rwhp will do 92 mph in the 1/8 and 116 through the 1/4 at 3100-3200#. It only takes a peak of 6000-6200 to do it. Dyno's are different too, some use different correction factors sometimes to swell heads. I just had a buddy ask why he only made 337 on my local Dyno and went 40 miles down the road to another and made 398.

I've built a lot of 302s because after my '71, I became a Fox 5.0 fanatic. A blueprinted stock rotating assembly from a late-model 5.0 (1993 vintage), forged pistons, plasma moly rings, 9.75:1 compression, shotpeened, polished and upgraded ARP hardware for the rods, Edelbrock Performer 5.0 heads (170cc intake runner), 1.7 ratio roller rockers, street legal roller cam, shorty headers, GT40 intake - made 400 hp at the crank.

I would say with the RHS heads and the bigger cam you may have some more top end, but I would guesstimate 400-420 hp at the crank. What are your times at the track?
I havent ran it on a strip yet. My guess is it does about 8 secs on a 1/8 which puts me at about 12 seconds? 1/4 mile? dont know, but i did a 0-60 time thing and estimated at about 4.9-5.1 seconds with my FMX 28in tires and 3.08 gears in a one legger (open diff) shifting at about 3500-4000 RPM. Ive hanged in there with terminators, newer audi s5? a5? idk. Obviously I didnt beat the termin, but dam gave him a good run for his money. Thats the only stupidity ive been involved in. But also i noticed that the motor really opens up at about 3500 RPM and just winds up past 4500 till whenever i shift. So my guess is that i have lot of top end.

that's why I love west texas, no emissions!lol
Lol in California pre-1975 are smog exempt.

Back