How old were you when you bought your Mustang?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bought my red 73 mach in 1990 I was 24 years old. Had a very rusty 71 mach that I bought when I was 19 drove as a work car for a couple of years then parted out. Bought a 71 coupe project car a couple of years ago. Also have a 65 Fastback and a 65 coupe project cars I purchased in the mid 90's and a 83 GT I bought about 15 years ago it's my daily driver.

I was 21 when i bought my 71 M code. Dad bought it in 1971 sold it when i was 14 i bought it from the gentleman my dad sold it to. It will never leave the family again

31 yrs old and just got back from Afghanistan with extra $ in my hand. My first car was almost a 71 Mustang w/351C but my Dad test drove it and said "you ain't getting that car, you'll kill yourself."

Years later I picked up a 72 coupe, brown and ginger brown, white top.

Bought my 1st one special order from dealer when I was 18. Sold it after 2 years. Bought my current one when I was 57, with funds my dad left me when he passed. It was HIS favorite car and he drove it every chance he could.

Bought this one ('71 351C 4V, C6) when I was 57. Had a '72 coupe for a while when I was 43, but it had a 351, a 4:10 rear end with a spool and my wife's nephew was living with us going to high school, so we sold it, didn't want him getting his hands on it, way too much for him to handle.

Other Mustangs: bought a '64-1/2 coupe (289 2V, 3 speed) when I was 19, a '65 coupe (289 4V, 4 speed) when I was 20, had a '71 Mach 1 ordered before I got out of the Army, that I was going to pick up in New Jersey and drive to Nevada, Dad died 3 months before I got out so had to cancel the order (I was 25). My wife had a 68 fastback (wish we still had it/could have kept it) when we got married and I was 30.

I bought my first and current Mustang, a 72 Q code 4 speed last year when I was 55. And I'm planning on keeping it. I have another hobby car back in Europe (a Cobra replica that I built and have owned since I was 33) but that doesn't have a rear seat. My Mustang has a big back seat that allow my family to share in the fun too!

So to summarize, it seems most people bought their 71-73 Mustangs in there late teens and 20s. Puts my mid-life crisis theory to the bin.
Us older folks who may have a "Midnight" Crisis are typically too old to have learned how to use a 'puter and thus be on the forum....:chin:rofl:whistling:

Last edited by a moderator:
I never bought mine. It was given to me by my stepdad when him and my mom decided to get married. It was such a piece of shit back then with mangled wiring and a huge hole in the passenger quarter panel. It had blinking blue lights under the dash, shitty under dash gauges, and a crap ass alarm that never worked correctly. My first feat with this car was tearing all of that out and fixing the factory wiring harness. I was 15 when he gave it to me and am almost 34 now, coming up on 20 years with the car!

Yellow Q code 1973 Mach 1 - 17

Red H code 1973 Mach 1 - 18

Blue H code 1971 Mach 1 - 20

White M code 1971 Mach 1 - 22

White 1990 LX 5.0 Hatch - 23

Reef Blue 1993 LX 5.0 Vert - 26

Light Pewter Metallic M code 1971 Mach 1 - 37*

Ingot Silver Metallic 2011 GT/CS - 44*

* Currently in posession

Last edited by a moderator:
Bought my first Mustang in '89, a '73 Grande. I was 18 and it was also my first car. First car was almost a 70 Mach 1, but the parents poo-pooed the idea because I didn't have any experience working on cars.

:huh:

Back