How should a convertible top switch feel when you use it????

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible
My 71 convertible is completely disassembled and I am working on restoring the dash while the metal work is getting done. As a result, I can't try the convertible top switch to see if it works. I am worried it may have issues because when I move the convertible top switch lever one way, it springs back into the center area, When I move the top switch lever in the opposite direction, it kind of returns to the center area but doesn't spring back like it does going the other way.

How should the top switch feel when you're using it? Should it always spring back to the center position no matter whether using the switch up or down? Is there a way I can test the switch to see if it's working correctly without having to put everything back together?

Thanks and hope this makes sense.

It should spring back to the center in both directions. Try a spraying a little contact cleaner into the switch to clean it out.

The switch can be tested with an ohmmeter, or if you don't have one of those, a 9v battery and a car light bulb can be wired to the switch connections. The black/yellow dot wire on the switch connector is power in, the red and yellow wires are power out to the pump. The pump is grounded in the trunk. Moving the switch in one direction connects the black/yellow dot with red, moving the switch the other way connects the black/yellow dot with yellow.

Mine is a little floppy and not precise but works fine…also not equally springy in both directions.

It should spring back to the center in both directions. Try a spraying a little contact cleaner into the switch to clean it out.

The switch can be tested with an ohmmeter, or if you don't have one of those, a 9v battery and a car light bulb can be wired to the switch connections. The black/yellow dot wire on the switch connector is power in, the red and yellow wires are power out to the pump. The pump is grounded in the trunk. Moving the switch in one direction connects the black/yellow dot with red, moving the switch the other way connects the black/yellow dot with yellow.
I agree with all Mike said and suggested, for what is worth. We have a 1973 Mustang Convertible, and he speaks correctly re: how the switch should be working. If it were me having switch behavior issues I would try the electrical contact cleaner before hunting down a replacement switch.

Mine had some issues setting the down the top but some electrical cleaner and some patience seemed to work... Not as precise as the switch in my 88 but it is nice that it has power at all times and cranks... my poor 88 has received a few quick thunderstorm washes over its 34 years but no worse for wear...

Back