How To convert to a Coolant Recovery Setup

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another easy one but this one isn't so much for power. Our cars came with a tube that just dumps coolant on the ground which is bad. I am not a Environmental Nazi, but dumping coolant on the ground is bad for the earth and unsafe. Bottom line is if you ever go to the drag strip or you get tired of people telling you your car is leaking this is for you. Coolant recovery works on a simple principle. When pressure(heat) pushs coolant out it goes into the container. When it cools back down a vacuum is created which sucks the coolant back into the radiator. Parts you need are below

Stant Radiator Cap #10329

Coolant Recovery Container

30" of 1/4" ID Hose

I went with a stainless container I got off Ebay for $30. Million designs and sizes and you can grab one off a scrap yard car if you find one you like. I went with a 3" x 16" container because it fit real well in between my radiator and the frame and holds about 50 extra ounces of fluid. I have a 302 in my car so fitment may be different for larger engine cars that may have a different or larger radiator.

On my container the center port is the recovery port. So hose runs from the port under the radiator cap to the center port on the bottom of the container. Mark your holes drill and bolt it into place. I tried to have the 2 caps close to level to ensure best looks and function without interference.

View attachment 15215View attachment 15216View attachment 15217View attachment 15218View attachment 15219

Last edited by a moderator:
Back