How to identify 71/72 fenders from 73?

turtle5353

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 Mustang
Hey guys just wanted to ask if there is an easy way to tell a 71/72 fender from a 73? I have been looking for fenders for my 71 and came across a set on Facebook marketplace. The ad says 71 but the decals are from a 73.  Can anyone identify these just by the 2 pics??

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

turtle5353

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 Mustang
Thanks Hemi! I was thinking the opposite since the decal is 73. Well at least I can buy the driver side. 

Cribbs74

Reaction score
For those uneducated like myself, how do you tell the difference. The passenger side has a bracket on it, but looks easily removable. Maybe it needs to be there regardless? Just wondering.

turtle5353

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 Mustang
I was wondering why the driver side one is missing the headlight bucket mount. I thought those were spot welded to the fender and the bucket bolts to that?? Driver side looks like is completely missing the mount.  Or am I just seeing shit?  This guy has some other parts he wants to sell too but I don't want to drive a couple hours if the fender isn't correct. 

Hemikiller

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1
65 coupe
For those uneducated like myself, how do you tell the difference. The passenger side has a bracket on it, but looks easily removable. Maybe it needs to be there regardless? Just wondering.
Take a look at the picture I posted two posts above yours. Once you see them side by side, it's really obviouse. 

turtle - those brackets come off really easily. I've parted several cars that the bracket had completely separated from the fender. 

turtle5353

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 Mustang
Take a look at the picture I posted two posts above yours. Once you see them side by side, it's really obviouse. 

turtle - those brackets come off really easily. I've parted several cars that the bracket had completely separated from the fender. 
So it is missing the welded bracket?  I would need to find one of those too then.... mine is toast.  

Fabrice

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
73 Grande 351C
71 Mach 1 429CJ
I always look at the extension side height. Much shorter on 71-72...

Are the normally welded brackets that connects to headlights avail in repop somewhere btw?