How to push front bumper in.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, Q code, 4 speed, 3.25, A/C, P/S
Hi!

First post! 73 Vert, Yellow, Q Code, 4 Speed.

I know the bumpers on the 73 stick out further than earlier models because of impact regs. However looking under the car, it looks like the bumper could be pushed inwards. Is there an adjustment to push the bumper in/out? And if so, how?

Welcome to the forum!

There is a minor amount of adjustment on the impact beams to the frame, but nothing of any significance other than for adjusting the bumper to fender gap. I've also seen shims between the beam and bumper itself. 

Is it possible to "compress" the impact beams?

Also, any chance you could highlight where the adjustment is? I'm missing something pretty obvious, but when it was up on my lift I couldn't see an adjustment.

Thanks for the help!

No idea if that's possible. If the mounts start rusting from the inside, it may be pushing the beam out. You could try it in a shop press. 

Side to side is the slotted holes in the mounting plate. Vertical adjustment should be the front mounting bolt hole is slotted. Fore and aft I believe is accomplished only with shims at the mounting plate, and whatever slop is in the bolt holes.

How far back do you need to move the bumper? 

Found this pic on Stangnet with no bumper attached. 

image004-jpg.230885

Ok. I don't have an exact figure for how much, I guess I would want to go in as much as I can. I'm not concerned about the impact absorbing ability of the bumper.

I attached a picture of the bumper with a ruler. From the farthest section of the grill to the farthest section of the bumper is about 7.5". Seems far, no?

PXL_20210616_172324373.jpg

I don’t think that would really work. If the bumper support is swelling out a bit, you can key-out the holes at the frame a little to get it back to stock, but we are talking like an 1/8 to a 1/4 of an inch, again, just to get back to stock. The limiting factor in going further is the side wrap-arounds, as well as the thin flat surface that is supposed to line up as a crease with the face of the fender extension.  I think that If you went too far in, it would give the fender extensions an “overbite”, and the wrap around vinyl bumper sides would start to go over the groove at the fender and peel outward. 

It may help your eye if you paint the inner, lower plane near the grille flat black, which I believe was stock.  I did this when I changed my grille to the 71/72 (see pics before and after). 

8B439EA4-EE51-4F94-BC24-8CE1F16FE606.jpeg

9434A539-72D6-4367-843A-25C67DD025CA.jpeg

"It may help your eye if you paint the inner, lower plane near the grille flat black, which I believe was stock."

Is that correct? The "inner" bumper should be black on a 73 vert? If so, I'm in for that.

I believe that, yes, the inner plane (on your pic, it is the horizontal surface from 0-2.5” of your tape) is supposed to be black.  If you search images of Mustang ads for 1973, they all are black there. 

At least, most of them appear to have been. There are some real experts on here that can tell us whether any came without the black-out there... maybe the custom color cars with argent bumpers or something?  But at any rate, it should help your issue. I used a rustoleum black trim and bumper paint that looks great and has held up very well. I think I used an adhesion promoter first, after degreasing the surface. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok. I don't have an exact figure for how much, I guess I would want to go in as much as I can. I'm not concerned about the impact absorbing ability of the bumper.

I attached a picture of the bumper with a ruler. From the farthest section of the grill to the farthest section of the bumper is about 7.5". Seems far, no?

View attachment 52429
By the picture I assume you don't have really a problem technical wise. Of course the bumper is meant to be pushed inwards but only by an accident. Therefore there are some rubber internal components. The bumper arms are some sort of bolt-on devices, there is not much room for movement in lenght, only horizontal for middle alignment. 

I think it is more of a visual thing as others have mentioned - a 73 must have been the back portion of the bumper others referred to always painted black. It is because exactly of that reason you opened that thread here. 

I have a '73 Mach 1 and my father an unmolested 73 vert, too. So I have some references. If you want you could send some pictures from the side, too, so that we can give you more exact advice here. But I think the real problem is the black part in the back of the bumper. 

Unfortunately I have mine not mounted yet but it is painted within original specs, I could do some pictures and measurements, if you want... 

(Don't holla' at me for the dirt; it's a work in progress)

I'd like to get the bumper moved a bit out, but only on the driver's side.  Will probably need to use shims.

I think spacing on the passenger side is correct.  But, posting so that you can see the gap piece is indeed black as delivered from the factory.

IMG_9575.jpg

IMG_9576.jpg

Back