How to recognise original steel wheels for the 71-73 Mustang?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Ford Mustang Q-code convertible
Hi guys, I would like to know how you can recognise original steel wheels for our cars. 

Are there any specific details on the wheels that confirm that they are actually for a 71-73 Mustang?

I have found a set of steel wheels for sale . I have received some photo's from the seller but I am not convinced that these are original Mustang wheels.

Any info is much appreciated. 

All factory wheels will have the stamped Ford logo.

I think for 1971 and 1972 they had three sizes of wheels -

14x6 

14x7 

15x7

1971 Mustang wheels.JPG

1972 Mustang wheels.JPG

For 1973 there were only two wheel sizes -

14x5.5

14x6 

1973 Mustang wheels.JPG

Ray

If they're 14" rims, and they fit over factory power disc brakes - SCORE!!   ::thumb::

rofl

What rim size are you looking for? Hard to tell from that view whether they are 14x6 or 14x7. The 14x7 rims should have a White & Violet paint daub on the back, along with a stamping of "14x7 JJ" I have a spare set of 14x7s and can take some pics of the stampings tomorrow.

Hi guys, I would like to know how you can recognise original steel wheels for our cars. 

Are there any specific details on the wheels that confirm that they are actually for a 71-73 Mustang?

I have found a set of steel wheels for sale . I have received some photo's from the seller but I am not convinced that these are original Mustang wheels.

Any info is much appreciated. 
1973 Aluminum slots were 14 x 6. Otherwise, all other 73 Mustangs came with 14 x 5.5 steel wheels.  On my 73 which came originally with trim rings and dog dish caps on 14 x 5.5, I found two yellow and two green paint daubs on the outer edge of the inner side of the rim. The buildsheet for the car also confirms these color codes. I am not sure if this also was the case on 14 x 5.5 rims in other years.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a Light Blue 73 250-6 3 speed convertible that came with those 14x5 1/2" pizza cutters painted body color and only the center poverty cap.

Luckily, the 71-72 cars came with 14x6, 14x7 or the 15x7 in either plain steel or Magnum 500.

14x5.5 - yellow/green (73 only - 68-70 6cyl used same colors, but were 4-lug))

14x6 - brown / violet

14x7 - white / violet

15x7 - green

The wheel you have a picture of is I think a Chrysler, Dodge or Plymouth. They had same spacing as Ford but had the small hole pierced in the bolt circle. Some had a pin that went in the hole. Chrysler had some odd thoughts about wheels even had L.H. threads on one side.

Like they say look for the Ford logo to be certain.

Thanks for the info guys. Shame that the set I’ve seen is not correct for the Mustang.

According to the Marti report of my 1973 Q convertible , it had F70 x14 tires .So basically I need to search for 14x5.5 steel wheels then? Seems a bit small for a Q code..... . Unfortunately I didn’t find a buildsheet when the carpet was removed....

I've been using the term 'pizza cutters' for years... because it's not too far off.

Here's mine with the 14x5.5" stock steelies on 185/70R14s with a set of Sport Caps I got from Kurt (cudak888).

attachment.php

attachment.php

And then you throw on some meats: 15x8 & 15x10 Cragar S/Ss with 245/60R125s and 295/50R15s - same car, same day, different wheels - MUCH different look:

attachment.php

attachment.php

BTW - the 'right' wheels make a difference.  A set of 14" steelies for the correct model year will clear the power disc brakes.  Ealier model years, not so much (I tried a set of 14" steelies from my pal Jim's 1963.5 Galaxie 500 XL, and it was definitely a no go - the got hung up on the calipers up front.  Rears with drums - no biggie (of course).

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info guys.  Shame that the set I’ve seen is not correct for the Mustang.

According to the Marti report of my 1973 Q convertible , it had F70 x14 tires .So basically I need to search for 14x5.5 steel wheels then? Seems a bit small for a Q code.....  . Unfortunately I didn’t find a buildsheet when the carpet was removed....

The '73 wheel listing in the MPC is kinda wonky, so I don't trust it. It only shows 14x6 steel wheels available, but the also shows 15x7 steel and Magnums so.....

IMO, if you're insistent on 14" wheels, I'd try to locate a set of 14x7 wheels, regardless of what came with the car. The added dish looks much better and the added width allows you to run a wider tire for better traction and handling. 

Just out of curiosity, what tires did your car come with?

Thanks for the info guys.  Shame that the set I’ve seen is not correct for the Mustang.

According to the Marti report of my 1973 Q convertible , it had F70 x14 tires .So basically I need to search for 14x5.5 steel wheels then? Seems a bit small for a Q code.....  . Unfortunately I didn’t find a buildsheet when the carpet was removed....
Sounds like you are trying to put your car back to correct to Marti. If not there is the optional 73 Mustang Forged Aluminum Wheel. They are 6" X 14" and the spare will be just a steel wheel.

There are three different sizes of this wheel with the center hole being the only difference. The Mustang and Maverick used the same wheel with just a center cap change. There were two others for Mercury with a larger center hole.

That is one thing to check for is that the center hole on any wheel fits the hub on the front spindle and also the center lug on the rear axle. The center supports the weight of the car and centers the wheel and the lugs simple hold it on. If the hole is larger in the center the wheels can run out of center and you can also have an issue with lugs coming loose.

Here are some pics of the Aluminum wheels for 73 only.  A forged wheel is much stronger than just a cast wheel. The wheels in the picture were polished. Originals were only high speed turned with a diamond tool. To have them cut again is very expensive several hundred dollars per wheel.

We use to buy wheels and tires from the Ford test track for $5.00 each back in the 60's. The tread would be feathered to one side from going around the turns hard.

I do have one set of original 73 steel wheels but they sat outside for years and have lots of deep rust pits.

The wheels on my '71 Mach are 14 x 7 with caps and beauty rings. They were on it when I bought it in 1990, and I assume they're correct. I've thought of maybe a different wheel/tire combo, but I kinda dig the look as is.

The '73 wheel listing in the MPC is kinda wonky, so I don't trust it. It only shows 14x6 steel wheels available, but the also shows 15x7 steel and Magnums so.....

IMO, if you're insistent on 14" wheels, I'd try to locate a set of 14x7 wheels, regardless of what came with the car. The added dish looks much better and the added width allows you to run a wider tire for better traction and handling. 

Just out of curiosity, what tires did your car come with?

I just checked the spare wheel that came with the car.

It has the green and yellow paint marks and also some writing. 

As mentioned in a earlier post, it should be correct for the 1973 mustang. 

The wheel would be 14x5.5.  The tire is a F70 as mentioned on the Marti report as well.

Great, so you have one original rim at least. AFAIK, Kelly was never a supplier to Ford, so that's a replacement tire. IIRC, the E70 & F70 were Firestone Wide Ovals in '73.

Great, so you have one original rim at least. AFAIK, Kelly was never a supplier to Ford, so that's a replacement tire. IIRC, the E70 & F70 were Firestone Wide Ovals in '73.
Not so you could get Goodyear you could specify my 73 that I ordered had F-70 X 14 RWL Goodyear and says so on the window sticker. The Firestones sucked 

And no Coker does not have any Goodyear anymore they cut him off only Kelsey Tire has any of the vintage Goodyear. Sole distributor sells to anyone that sells them. i got the ones on my car in the MOM from them.

I have a set of original 14" steel wheels with hub caps.

I just could not stand the 14 inch pizza cutters anymore I have been looking at them since 1976. Ok maybe not since 1976 since I was 2 years old but certainly by 1979 I was aware of them lol.

they do clear the front disc brakes.

here is what came on my 73 Mach1

the car has been in the family since 76 so i am certain these are the originals. I also have the poly glass spare tire and the same markings are there.

I could part with these if someone needs them for a restoration.

RW4eRwo.jpg

pxHss4g.jpg

zVSOPuL.jpg

8fBZEKL.jpg

Back