Hub centric help

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MooseStang

Reaction score
My Car
72 Q-code Vert
72 L-code Vert
Still chasing vibrations, I think I may need to acquire some hub centric rings or spacers.  I'm running an older set of 200920210807_181002.jpg CT&W Magnum 500s, 7" and 8".  I've also got an LF rub at full turn.   How do I get the measurements from the rims?  Are the any issues with running smaller spacers? Finally,  where to get them. Thanks. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't answer your question, but I can ask a question. I too had a lot of vibrations from the set of Magnum 500 that were on my car when I bought it. What I found was that on 3 of the 4 wheels, most of the lug bolt holes were egg shaped, typically from someone using an impact wrench to tighten the nuts. The question is therefore, are the lug bolt holes out of round? Even a small amount could alter the balance and cause vibrations. The ONLY solution for me was to buy a new set of Wheel Vintiques Magnum 500 rims and never allow an impact wrench anywhere near them when tightening. I do use my electric impact to unscrew the nuts AFTER loosening with a wrench. I tighten by hand then use a torque wrench to 90 ft/lbs. in stages.

Lug centric wheels can ONLY be balanced with the appropriate adaptor...... and someone who knows how to use one.

EDIT: FYI, the 4th wheel was kept and use as my spare in the trunk. 

Last edited by a moderator:
But isn't that what the rings are supposed to take care of? To center the wheel to the hub?

But isn't that what the rings are supposed to take care of? To center the wheel to the hub?
 To be honest, I've not seen the rings you are talking about, but as the center holes on these Magnum 500 wheels is anything but round or centered, they're just a rough stamped hole, then surely these rings will still rely on the lugs and lug nuts to draw the wheel to center and yes, I could be wrong. It's a shame these type of wheels were made this way. All it did was to cut out a machining operation to center bore the wheels. The center could also have been drawn just like modern steel rims. 

Anyway good luck, I hope it works out for you.

The Magnum 500 wheels were lug centric. I don't even know if you will be able to find a hub centric ring to fit them as the wheel is so strange in the back. Hub centric rings are made mostly for aftermarket wheels. Aftermarket wheel hubs are always oversize so that the wheel can fit a lot of applications, and are thus lug centric. They are machined with a ridge on the center hub so that you can fit a hub centric ring in them, and so the hub centric ring can sit flat and be held in place on the wheel. There is nothing on a Magnum 500 wheel to fit a hub centric ring. Here are a couple of photos:

hub-centric-rings 2.jpg

Magnum 500.jpg

These wheels are supposed to be balanced with a lug centric adapter, as the center hole in not really centered on the wheel. Most of these wheels will balance by conventional methods, but a lot of them will not. To balance the wheel correctly you need to balance the wheel with an adapter that holds the wheel to the balancer by the lug holes. Here are 2 styles of lug centric adapters for balancers:

lug centric adapter.jpeg

Atlas_ATWB-UA_Universal_Adapter_for_Lugcentric_Tires_40MM_Shaft_5000x.jpg

As for the rub when turning left, it should not be there. These cars came stock with 7" Magnum 500's and they did not rub. As far as I know all the 15x7 Magnum 500's are 4.25" backspacing, which is the same as the OEM ones. There is something off in the steering system.  I think that your tie rods could be adjusted in such a way where one side of the tie rods is longer than the other side, the steering wheel has been centered, and when you turn one side it just turns more than the other side as the total length of the tie rods is just longer. 

As for the rub when turning left, it should not be there. These cars came stock with 7" Magnum 500's and they did not rub. As far as I know all the 15x7 Magnum 500's are 4.25" backspacing, which is the same as the OEM ones. There is something off in the steering system.  I think that your tie rods could be adjusted in such a way where one side of the tie rods is longer than the other side, the steering wheel has been centered, and when you turn one side it just turns more than the other side as the total length of the tie rods is just longer. 
3 Good replies.

Can you tell what the wheel or tire is rubbing on?  That may help these guys narrow the issue. 

Also, where do you feel the vibration, in the steering wheel or the seat?  Was the vibration issue there before you did the driveline work?  As I recall your yoke was beat up pretty good.  I wonder if you may have a driveshaft imbalance.  I still have the original Magnums on my car and I don't have any trouble with balancing them.  Worn lug stud holes could be an issue, as Geoff mentioned.  Over the years tire shops using impact wrenches to rattle on the lug nuts were hard on wheels.  Most shops now will tighten the lug nuts with a torque wrench.

Good to read you got it on the road and out to some car events!

Back