Hurst Competition Plus Flat Shifter

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
I have been having a discussion with a forum member about the Hurst Competition Plus Flat shifter that came in the 1971 4 speed cars. Many years ago I purchased on new and it has been in the garage ever since, 1970 date on papers. I went and pulled it out today to get some pictures for the member.

The small parts bag had not been opened and everything is there, bushings, bolts, clips, rods, adapter plate everything but the Hurst Shifter decal. I thought that they had a lifetime warranty but it was only 90 days, can you believe that.

I have scanned the install instructions that have exploded views and the warranty. These are Hurst documents and I acknowledge their copyright. This shifter will actually fit 1964 1/2 to 1973 Mustangs that is why I bought it was for my A code 1965 vert I bought back then.

I thought this might be of benefit to those with these shifters. The install shows different mounting plates and shows the different casting and bolt patterns on the tailshaft for 302-351 and 390-428-429 engines.

Some of the shifters in that time were quite flimsy compared to the Hurst. I also had a Competition Plus in my 1950 Ford with flathead and three speed. It really helped with the broken transmissions along with the Hurst Line Loc.

To those in the know on the 1971 cars do you see any difference between the Competition Plus and the Factory Installed Flat stick?

David

I'm running a Hurst bought about 5 years ago, looks about the same as yours. I also have the stock shifter and it is . . . similar, but there are differences in the handle attachment and the internal mechanism.

Hurst still sells their pit pack that replaces the nylon with steel bushings and twist clips-if you plan to install it, that would be a nice and cheap upgrade.

I have been having a discussion with a forum member about the Hurst Competition Plus Flat shifter that came in the 1971 4 speed cars. Many years ago I purchased on new and it has been in the garage ever since, 1970 date on papers. I went and pulled it out today to get some pictures for the member.

The small parts bag had not been opened and everything is there, bushings, bolts, clips, rods, adapter plate everything but the Hurst Shifter decal. I thought that they had a lifetime warranty but it was only 90 days, can you believe that.

I have scanned the install instructions that have exploded views and the warranty. These are Hurst documents and I acknowledge their copyright. This shifter will actually fit 1964 1/2 to 1973 Mustangs that is why I bought it was for my A code 1965 vert I bought back then.

I thought this might be of benefit to those with these shifters. The install shows different mounting plates and shows the different casting and bolt patterns on the tailshaft for 302-351 and 390-428-429 engines.

Some of the shifters in that time were quite flimsy compared to the Hurst. I also had a Competition Plus in my 1950 Ford with flathead and three speed. It really helped with the broken transmissions along with the Hurst Line Loc.

To those in the know on the 1971 cars do you see any difference between the Competition Plus and the Factory Installed Flat stick?

David
David. That's a cool piece to have and worth keeping is your "stock" of collectables.

Geoff.

Here are some pictures of my 1971 Hurst Competition Plus from my car. Mine is quite a bit different. The only number on it other than the paten numbers is 1200252M. I have absolutely no doubt it is the original to the car as I know it's entire history........well close to it! It does have the "T" handle, not shown.

Geoff.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought I had heard that OEM Hurst has different linkage than the aftermarket C/P unit. Anybody else heard this?

You're absolutely right. Ford supplied the shift rods for the OEM shifter and the aftermarket replacement Hurst Comp Plus MUST have the Hurst aftermarket shift rods. It make for an expensive proposition. I went down this road and when I found that the replacement Hurst shifter has a (incorrect) stick that is not removable without cutting it off and I would have to cut and weld a flat stick on. I had also not at that time found out that I needed to buy the shift rods. I think that if one were not too concerned about what stick was on the aftermarket shifter or doing a trans swap, it would be the best bet. Why Hurst only supply a generic 'one stick fits all' shifter is I guess typical of today's market.

Hope that helps,

Geoff.

Back