Hurst Competition Plus Rebuild Kit

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MooseStang

Reaction score
My Car
72 Q-code Vert
72 L-code Vert
My shifter is in need of a rebuild. I've never done one, but I believe I can handle it. So fare, I've seen two different kits. One of them says it's specifically for Ford Mustang, parts specific, and also says no instructions, should only be done by someone familiar with rebuilding.
Also, mine is a flat stick, and has the "button" adjusters, not the slots.
3216274 3306126
What should I get?
20220408_095110.jpg

www.hurstshiftersonlune.com

I sent my comp plus away to Scotty a couple of years ago. Not cheap, but everything that could be replaced was and I got all the take off stuff back.
You might want to discuss what you have with him first though. It might be an older or different shifter, but I can see Hurst on it.
There are other video's and Summit Racing sells them now. Check good ol' Google. There is a link also. for some reason the link I gave is not working. Maybe they're out of business. Check though.

Last edited:
I "rebuilt" my factory Hurst unit last spring. I only cleaned and regreased the fifty year old unit and it works great. Yours is an aftermarket Hurst Comp Plus, sold over the counter at every speed shop on earth. The only thing you probably need is a good cleaning, and new bushings on the rods and buttons.

There used to be a company called Toploader Heaven, and the owner, Mark, produced some really good how-to documents.

Attachments

• x-Hurst Cleaning.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
Scott in Fort Mill SC rebuilt my shifter. As mentioned…not cheap but he does an excellent job. I had David Kee in San Antonio rebuild my top loader. Looked brand new when I picked it up!

Back