Hurst Shifter Bench test.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1, Grabber Blue w/Argent stripes. Original 2V 351C Auto, Tilt, rear defog, Black Comfortweave Interior. Under restoration. Original colors, 4V 351C, 4-Speed, Spoilers, Magnums, Ram Air. All Ford parts.
Is there a good way to bench test the original style competition plus shifter?

Since my power train is out I decided to freshen up some linkages and bushings.  The shifter on the shelf was a lot tighter than the one I had been using.  With the tranny on the floor I can't get it into reverse.  Should I be concerned?  The transmission shifts fine with the levers.  The shifter was tight, but worked.

Thanks!

Kcmash 

Make sure the 1-2 and 3-4 levers are in neutral before trying to get it into reverse. If it still doesn't go into reverse try turning the input shaft while trying to get it into reverse.

It seems to be more about the force to push to the left far enough.   Should that be a light force, or fairly heavy?

Kcmash 

It seems to be more about the force to push to the left far enough.   Should that be a light force, or fairly heavy?

Kcmash 
 I had my Hurst shifter rebuilt at HurstshiftersOnline.com It came back in "as new" condition, but no matter how good they are rebuilt, they'll never be like a modern direct shift shifter. On mine, it is sometime quite hard to get it into reverse especially for parking. I need to bump the starter (after shutting it off) on occasion to get it in, so obviously the the input shaft is out of alignment. It's not the easiest to get into reverse by a long shot. With the box on the floor, I would say it's almost impossible as the side force is considerable. 

The attached link say Muncie... but he discusses top loader, T10, 633, etc... too since they are a like

He has other video's on rebuilding a Hurst Comp

It takes a fair amount of force to pull the lever into the reverse gate, enough you would need to be crafty at holding it still on the bench. 

Back