hybrid led tail lights

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1
Hi guys ...

I've been thinking about leds for a while now but wasn't happy with prices and looks... (It's a lot of money to spend for a similar look).

Last week I come across some compact hi brightness led strips on ebay which I though would be nice around the outer circumference of our tails lights (similar to many modern cars).

Tonight I finished installing and was quite surprised as to how nice they work. I've ordered more for the other light which I'll do next week.

If people are interested I will post the exact ebay product.

The strips themselves are very robust and well made. The whole strip is protected by a clear rubber outer shell (weather proof).

Below are some pics which I took just before.

As this is a hybrid install, only the "lights on" lights are leds.

As you apply the brakes, the normal brake light comes on and the leds basically become invisible ... I feel that this is a good thing.

Pros and Cons:

Pros:

1) cost, total expenditure = under $20 for both taillights...

2) no soldering needed ...(just fit, cut and join 2 wires)

3) once installed, can be reverted back to original in seconds.(1 plug)

4) keeps our cars relevent in the modern world

5) the hybrid look is something different

Cons:

1) save yourself $20 and a bit of labour

2) not factory correct

pic1:

I took this from a distance to see if the leds are strong enough to be seen from a distance ...I believe they are plenty strong.

far1.jpg

pic2:

Here is a closeup.

I don't think my little camera can handle high brightness too well.

The lights are a very bright red (lens color) ...not orange!

close1.jpg

pic3:

Here's a closeup pic with the flash on.

Even the flash couldn't drown out the led lights...

flash.jpg

what do you guys think? I quite like them.

If there is enough interest I'll post a step by step tutorial as I convert my other taillight next week...

cheers ...Jim.

I like them! Nice job!

Looks great, one question, you said they are bright.... are they brighter than when the brake light is on?? And i would be interested in a set myself.

Looks real nice!

Would it be possible to add a strip to the center section of the lenses, so that there are 3 "circles" glowing instead of only two? I never liked the fact that the center is for backing up only.

The center could also be done very easily. Worth a try.

I personally will not do it due to our Aussie rules/regulations. Our blinker lights must only be yellow and since the middle section is only red/clear, it won't work ... but nothing's stopping me from finding yellow led strips to use in the clear middle section only.

I'll take more pics tomorrow to compare brightness levels with the brake lights on. I am 99% confident that the brake lights will be many times brighter again. (As it should be). You may have to take my word for it if the camera maxxes out with brightness levels and cannot accurately show the true differences in brightness. More to come...

I like it. I never really thought about the fact our red centers don't light up. Adding that to what you did would really be the ticket.

Since you don't have yellow how do you pass the aussie inspection?

I like the idea.

May try that myself and leave the center light for just marker and have the LED as brake and turn signal around the edge or vice versa.

I agree the center should also have the treatment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks real nice!

Would it be possible to add a strip to the center section of the lenses, so that there are 3 "circles" glowing instead of only two? I never liked the fact that the center is for backing up only.
W3rd!

My understanding is that the center section is a reflector, but will pass light from behind (still gotta test that theory for myself).

Very nice discovery - this information might be helpful to Obsidian with his project.

Are the LED strips behind the red lens or are they on the outside? They look great!! Yes, please post the Ebay link.

I, too, would be interested in adding that feature to my tail lights. I've already changed them over to the sequential LEDs but adding the brighter outside border would be even better. Let me know if you plan on adding the step by step plans anytime soon. Thanks. Dr Dew

you buggers have talked me into doing the middle section also.

(I wasn't planning on it ...but it does make sense because the middle red lens is pretty much useless so we may as well put it to some use)

So I've ordered more leds strips (6 in total) to do both sides ...

I'll do a step by step with photos on the other tail light...

gimme about a week for the lights to arrive from hong kong...

To answer a previous poster, yes, these are installed on the inside.

Back