I’m back at it! Green Machine update

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1
429CJ, 4 Speed, 3.25 Traction Lock N case, A/C, P/W, tilt, fold down seats, int. wipers, deluxe interior.
Hey guys! I’ve been pretty much non existent in here for about 6 months.

Definitely not because I wanted to be…finally though today I brought the car out for some sun. Took the cover off and did some small jobs I needed to get done. I’ll also include a pic of the rim blow I restored. The frame came off a parts car and I repair the cracked plastic and then made the “fake wood grain” myself installed a new switch and got a good used pad on eBay and painted it black (was blue) and then I can put it in!

More exciting new is after nearly two years

Yes two years…I have been getting updates on my engine, which is why I’m not done yet, cuz I’ve been waiting…

Anyways! Hoping this thing will be on the road sometime in June.

Attachments

• 6BDFB522-F4E9-4926-AE16-067328D6C81C.jpeg
    6BDFB522-F4E9-4926-AE16-067328D6C81C.jpeg
    416.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 08ABB5C3-F84E-487A-BF87-456C68973933.jpeg
    08ABB5C3-F84E-487A-BF87-456C68973933.jpeg
    399.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 39761C43-D3A6-4D58-83DA-F7FA2FD9806F.jpeg
    39761C43-D3A6-4D58-83DA-F7FA2FD9806F.jpeg
    513.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 8032B16F-83B4-4558-8126-1B859557851B.jpeg
    8032B16F-83B4-4558-8126-1B859557851B.jpeg
    403.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 5BB103E3-6FA3-421B-BD28-66FE6DCFAB2D.jpeg
    5BB103E3-6FA3-421B-BD28-66FE6DCFAB2D.jpeg
    433.5 KB · Views: 28
  • FD5071B3-EC8C-4F2D-AB44-DF7D08056601.jpeg
    FD5071B3-EC8C-4F2D-AB44-DF7D08056601.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 30
Good to see you back. What up with your engine builder. 2 years!?!?
Well, I dropped it off July 2020 so not quite 2 years. At the time I had just started my restoration so I wasnt in a rush. Big mistake saying that.

Great to see you back!

How's the baby going? Does he already 'store' your wrenches?

How do you achieve the grain on your wheel? Looks great!

2 years and not finished yet is quite long for an engine build but perhaps you made some sort of a deal 😜
Thanks! Weston is doing great! almost a year old now! Cant wait to take him on cruises! He is now at the age where he wants to pick up everything and put it in his mouth so I have to be extra careful with tools now! The wood grain was interesting. Sprayed some primer, then basically found a brown color I liked, sprayed (after taping off of course) and then sprayed a few light coats of clear. I then grabbed a razor and nail and "dug" into the paint to the primer in lines similar to a grain pattern (had to look up some pictures for this for reference) After that I grabbed some black craft paint (for the consistency) and basically smeared it on and wiped off the excess allowing the black to stay in the recessed cuts I made. After that dried I went back at it and "wet sanded" with some 600 grit. This removed excessed black and then took off a small amount of the clear I had sprayed over the brown but not touch the brown. I then sprayed clear over the whole part. There ya go!

And yeah, so he feels horrible and has so many excuses but basically is going to assemble it at no cost. So heres hoping!

Hey great to have you back!! Why is it taking them two years? Did they get side tracked with all the hunting and fishing in Alaska?
I suppose this would actually be a valued excuse. or at least one I understand haha! instead it was a mix of being back logged with work, lack of employees and parts on backorder....so who knows. apparently everything is there to assemble now.

Good to see you back. I was starting to wonder what was up.
Psyched for more updates.
Mike
yeah, sadly i just simply had nothing to post cuz the car was sitting under cover in a shelter. it survived the winter though! time to get back at it!

Glad to see you are working on it again. Doesn't seem like 2 years but time does fly as you get older.
Yes! i picked the car up July 2020. I believe I joined this forum in june making a post about how i wanted to find one. didnt take long!

Thanks! Weston is doing great! almost a year old now! Cant wait to take him on cruises! He is now at the age where he wants to pick up everything and put it in his mouth so I have to be extra careful with tools now! The wood grain was interesting. Sprayed some primer, then basically found a brown color I liked, sprayed (after taping off of course) and then sprayed a few light coats of clear. I then grabbed a razor and nail and "dug" into the paint to the primer in lines similar to a grain pattern (had to look up some pictures for this for reference) After that I grabbed some black craft paint (for the consistency) and basically smeared it on and wiped off the excess allowing the black to stay in the recessed cuts I made. After that dried I went back at it and "wet sanded" with some 600 grit. This removed excessed black and then took off a small amount of the clear I had sprayed over the brown but not touch the brown. I then sprayed clear over the whole part. There ya go!

And yeah, so he feels horrible and has so many excuses but basically is going to assemble it at no cost. So heres hoping!

Same here - my youngest one turned 1 two months ago and now he is interested in everything, learns every day something new. It's awesome to watch that again. Can't wait to take him for a cruise too 😉

Thanks for the explanation about the wheel! That are some great tricks - you should have made a video about it 😅

Hope to hear from you again,

Best wishes for you and your family,

Tim

Good to see you back
i can only imagine how long the winters are, up in alaska
Winters are long enough here in Calgary and we are way south of you
i still haven’t taken my car out yet this year, but it’s getting closer....as soon they will get the street sweepers out to remove all the gravel they layed down during the winter.
In any event, the forecast is for a slight dusting of snow over the next few days

Same here - my youngest one turned 1 two months ago and now he is interested in everything, learns every day something new. It's awesome to watch that again. Can't wait to take him for a cruise too 😉

Thanks for the explanation about the wheel! That are some great tricks - you should have made a video about it 😅

Hope to hear from you again,

Best wishes for you and your family,

Tim
oh man were on the same page then! these kiddos sure make life fun! get to live through their eyes. I have another frame, maybe ill go through and do it again and show how I did it. Its definitely not concourse but it looks good for my driver ;) ill post pics with it in my interior soon enough.

Good to see you back
i can only imagine how long the winters are, up in alaska
Winters are long enough here in Calgary and we are way south of you
i still haven’t taken my car out yet this year, but it’s getting closer....as soon they will get the street sweepers out to remove all the gravel they layed down during the winter.
In any event, the forecast is for a slight dusting of snow over the next few days
its been an odd year, a bit cold and long winter so it was a little slow for spring. we did however manage to get a good stretch of nice weather hear (mid 50s or so F with blue skies and sun.) thats enough to get me all fired up and wanting to cruise! if i had an engine i would def be out driving today!

Back