I can't believe I have to ask this question: Is this the oil cap used for adding oil?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1990 Bronco, Eddie Bauer, 306ci
1978 F150 Ranger, 545 Stroker
1973 Mexican Mach 1 ( final confirmation TBD), 351C
[url=https://ibb.co/kqFMPqf][img]https://i.ibb.co/GCjFrCL/pic1.jpg[/img][/url]
ok, I have to maintain some sort of dignity here with such a basic question, but I have not had to add motor oil since I owned the car, and this is my first 351w.  its very different than my 545 and 306 in other cars.  i'm not familiar with oil caps on top of the valve covers, but I see nothing else that looks like an oil cap.  assuming it is, it comes off easily and is only a loose friction fit using gaskets.  and what the heck is the bung coming off the side?  sorry for such a basic question, its embarrassing 

Sure removing that cap allows oil to be added , drains to the pan so you can check level (after a minute or so) !

Mark

P.S. That is an aftermarket (mr gasket?) style dress up set - THE NIPPLE is for the PCV hose to be connected in a closed system. SEEING it is open I would PHOTO other ports on the engine "too see" what they are doing for PCV , vacuum signals for trans or distributor and brakes if Power.

awesome thanks. I was doing some googling about adding oil to 351w and I've discovered I'm not the only one who didn't recognize the filler location....

thanks for the quick help

ok, I have to maintain some sort of dignity here with such a basic question, but I have not had to add motor oil since I owned the car, and this is my first 351w.  its very different than my 545 and 306 in other cars.  i'm not familiar with oil caps on top of the valve covers, but I see nothing else that looks like an oil cap.  assuming it is, it comes off easily and is only a loose friction fit using gaskets.  and what the heck is the bung coming off the side?  sorry for such a basic question, its embarrassing 

Just an observation, but that rotten rubber fuel line in the background is an accident waiting to happen.  Change that out ASAP before something bad happens.

Great observation! Ya that’s needs to be done immediately. Try to find some ethanol resistant rubber, fuel injection rubber lines. That rusted connection to the carb should be changed also, could be like that on the inside too. Both of those things can create some bad news for sure.

And, while you're at it replacing the fuel lines, please go buy PROPER fuel line clamps and please NEVER use those damn gear clamps. Just another failure waiting to happen down the road.

Geoff.

Last edited by a moderator:
[ please NEVER use those damn gear clamps]

@ Stanglover, That's why there are even two to do the job of a good one!

@MustangNJ,

Just as @Stanglover said, really do replace the fuel lines, not just the rubbers. You won't believe how fragile and full of corrosion/deposits these old metal lines are once you remove them.

They are cheap and can be replaced in no time.

[ please NEVER use those damn gear clamps]

@ Stanglover, That's why there are even two to do the job of a good one!

@MustangNJ,

Just as @Stanglover said, really do replace the fuel lines, not just the rubbers. You won't believe how fragile and full of corrosion/deposits these old metal lines are once you remove them.

They are cheap and can be replaced in no time.
 Good call, somehow I missed the double gear clamps!

On fuel lines, yes they can and do get rusty inside. At least replace with copper lined steel or better yet Stainless Steel. And the list goes on...... and on.......... and on!

Back