I have EFI and so can you

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stangrpunk72

Reaction score
My Car
72 mustang coupe -exterior decor group
5.0 EFI conversion
explorer upper and lower intake
GT40 heads
Trickflow stage one cam
T-5 5 speed conversion
9in rear
coming soon rear disk brakes

99 Ford Ranger XLT
mostly stock but always down for whatever.
IF you didnt know my car is running a 1st gen 5.0 EFI motor. I decided on it because i wanted fuel injection and more fun in tuning it. fox body mustangers have been tuning this setup since its inception. and ive decided to post some bits and pieces on what you need......

88-93 mustang or lincoln mark7 5.0 EFI engine

96-early 97 explorer engines will work with some modifications including changing the water pump and timing cover.

fox body accelerator cable

MAF sensor

HEGO sensor

PCM

TFI distributor

Wiring harness -which can be done one of two ways, either the factory harness or and aftermarket harness which is the route i went and and better in presentation. im running a RJM injection tech harness.

Inline Fuel pump

Inertia switch

-a donor vehicle is a nice luxury but most can be had at the junkyard and parts stores. I built mine almost entirely out of the junkyard

The next comes engine fitment which basically drops right in since the dimensions are the same as the original 302 2v here are some pics for reference

depending on whatever trans you use, either t-5 or AOD both are easy to adapt and work flawlessly. the best way to get the T-5 to work with the newer bellhousing is to use the clutch cable conversion kit from bruce couture"s modern driveline. its simple to istall and adjust and imo it works perfect.

When I installed the motor in my car it was pretty much stock cept for the TFS stage one cam. one upgrade i do recommend is the Explorer upper and lower as it has the same flow characteristics of the cobra manifold and its very cheap and easy to find however most intakes will work though but one thing to consider is that with any EFI style intake you will want to use, you will lose the factory export brace and will have to fabricate something in its place. For the most part I would recommend running stock parts for now to fire the car and get it running and then upgrading later. be very careful what cam you run as well because you might run to a few driveability and idling issues, the next thing i would recommend is upgrading the alternator to a 3G if you havent already. a 130 amp unit will power the efi and then some.

In conclusion, Since i installed this in my car i have a blast driving it and love the reliablility and simplicity of the system. however if you have a good running 351 cleaveland then leave it and build that. however if you have a 302 2v and dont mind updating to roller cam and more drivability and more modern performance than this is something to consider. The sky is the limit on modifications so do research and have a plan when upgrading.

Here is my setup in my 72 coupe........for now

97 Explorer block 20 over

GT40 iron heads

Explorer upper and lower intake manifold

Patriot Long tube headers with O2 sensors

Trickflow Stage One Cam

MSD pro billet distributor

24lb injectors

BBK 70MM throttle body with spacer

BBK 75MM MAF calibrated for the 24lb injectors

-Engine is controlled by a 92 mustang lx A9P PCM and a RJM injection tech 5.0 wiring harness

Hope this helps if anybody is interested in doing it and thanks for reading also feel free to ask questions too.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice setup. I actually built a stroked Windsor for my '68 coupe that is just waiting for a Paxton Novi-2000. For Cleveland owners, you can get an EFI intake from Trick Flow and use the rest of the items you mentioned.

Nice setup. I actually built a stroked Windsor for my '68 coupe that is just waiting for a Paxton Novi-2000. For Cleveland owners, you can get an EFI intake from Trick Flow and use the rest of the items you mentioned.
That Trick Flow set-up wouldn't somehow still work with a factory Ram-Air plenum by any chance, now would it?

Nice job, Stangrpunk72! Looks awesome, and I'll bet it runs great, too.

I doubt it.. But you could run the intake into the passenger side fender just like I did with my '95 GT. I have also seen EFI kits that use a modified single plane carbed intake with a GM style throttle body (Mass-Flo, FAST). U don't see why one of those wouldn't work with the fastiry ram air.

I was actually planning on going with an Edelbrock E-Street TBI set-up - it's the same physical size as the Performer series carbs, so it'll be a direct swap without giving anything up (like the Factory Ram-Air).

But that's down the road... first things first: get it running.

The Ram Air "ports" seem so small. Wouldn't it be better to use larger mendral bent tubing from the intake to either the fender well or to either side of the radiator?

That Trick Flow set-up wouldn't somehow still work with a factory Ram-Air plenum by any chance, now would it?

Nice job, Stangrpunk72! Looks awesome, and I'll bet it runs great, too.
thanks man, yeah it does run pretty good, it surprises most when I pop the hood at the gas station or car gatherings cause most figure its gonna be carbd. If i were to go another route i would of went with the mass flo efi system, that one i think is pretty cool but my car was a flat hood- non ram air car so the efi intake is fine with me

Looks great but you definitely need some sort of shock tower export bracing else the base of the shock tower is prone to crack.

yeah that is the next step, i definately dont want that happening when i start making big power......

Looks great but you definitely need some sort of shock tower export bracing else the base of the shock tower is prone to crack.
I am particularly looking forward to seeing this modification, as I've yet to see a '71/73 with the 5.0 EFI conversion running any form of shock tower brace. That, and I've got a pipe dream that the next '71 Mustang I pick up will get this conversion. :whistling:

Quite disheartening, really, as the conversion is one of the best all-around modifications for daily driver reliability - and on the cheap too.

-Kurt

folks, im hot on the trail of working on a export brace for the car so stay posted.

Well, you can use an Edelbrock Torker intake for a Cleveland and have it converted for EFI. Then with an elbow, you can use a throttle body and Mass Air Meter just like the 5.0L. Edelbrock already makes one for a Windsor and for a big block.

folks, im hot on the trail of working on a export brace for the car so stay posted.
Are you modifying one or starting from scratch? The guys from Total Control said you could probably mix and match their existing export brace to get one to work.

Since you mentioned that cazper i will look into it. mad thanks

No problem. I spoke with them at the Good Guys car show in Pleasanton Calif. a month or so ago. I actually have a '68 as well as my '73 Mach-1. I'll measure both tomorrow.

Well, you can use an Edelbrock Torker intake for a Cleveland and have it converted for EFI. Then with an elbow, you can use a throttle body and Mass Air Meter just like the 5.0L. Edelbrock already makes one for a Windsor and for a big block.
Don't forget the TrickFlow intake for the 351C - presently for the 2V, but I believe they did a running change to the design that allows it to be modified for 4V use:

tfs-51600114.jpg

At close to $800, they aren't cheap either.

-Kurt

I totally forgot a out that. I actually had one on my 393w. It worked great. I had mine extrude honed for the increased flow (supercharged). But if your not concerned about hood clearance, you can also use the "box" upper. I read that the Trick Flow box upper is designed for the upper RPM range without losing any on the lower RPM.

Back