i need extensive electrical assistance.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiko619

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
1972 Grande Coupe
so i was replacing the brake line, master cylinder, brake booster the works... and i had to move a lot of things under the dash and im worried i might have disconnected something that wasn't supposed to be. i had to remove the center cluster which just had the radio and the heater/ac wires connected to them, (i dont have that badass center gauge cluster) anyway, i came across a loose wire from the door jam button thingy it touched solid metal and started sparking its a purple wire and doesnt show up ANYWHERE :s . then i noticed a lot of other connection boots just loose.

first and foremost.

what is this purple wire connect to? :huh:

dnlnbq.jpg

and what is this connect to?

15d288o.jpg

this is a connection boot that is coming directly from the harness right next to the parking brake and right before the engine bay firewall.

The purple wire looks like someone added it for some accessory judging by the red splicing connector. Some other members should be along with info on the other wire.

Looks like your first post, so welcome to the site. Please start an introduction thread and post some pics of your Mustang.

Remove the purple wire; it is not stock.

The second picture's wire goes to a spade blade on the parking brake indicator switch.

howdy and welcome. After 40 plus years these cars often times have many electrial 'modifications' to them. The quality of the work will vary.

The connector in the first picture is used to splice into an existing connection. as Midlife said, it is not needed. I would guess someone had put in an aftermarket car alarm or something and used that to determine that the door had been opened.

Believe it or not you will find 'some' stock connectors that are not connected to anything. Sometimes this is okay. Not all mustangs were equiped the same but ford didn't want to customize each wiring harness for each set of options a car had.

The purple wire looks like someone added it for some accessory judging by the red splicing connector. Some other members should be along with info on the other wire.
thank you, im going to go ahead and just remove it and discard it. and i went ahead and posted the intro lol

Remove the purple wire; it is not stock.

The second picture's wire goes to a spade blade on the parking brake indicator switch.
if it's not too much to ask can you post a link of where i can find a "spade blade" and how it supposed to look when connected? thanks again for the purple wire indication.

Believe it or not you will find 'some' stock connectors that are not connected to anything. Sometimes this is okay. Not all mustangs were equiped the same but ford didn't want to customize each wiring harness for each set of options a car had.
great..... juuuuuuuust great... i guess im going to be in for thirll of my life on this restoration. lol well, if i find more loose connections i guess ill search around first and then post it later if i still need help. thank again!

I believe the parking brake switch should be near the firewall where the parking brake assembly and the firewall meet. It can't be too far from the parking brake assembly!

on many cars there are disused plugs, because they reused the same harness for some accessories, for example the parking brake sensor not every car had them there is the sensor switch on the parking brake assembly that the connector slides on to but there is also the light on the dashboard if you didn't have the convenience pack then you didn't get the dash light or the sensor but the connector is still present.

up till late 72 the connectors for the foot well lights was also present but may be unused if the car didn't have the option installed.

the map light was part of the 71 harness but not part of the 72 harness.

point is you want to check what options your car was built with before you go nuts trying to plug everything into something when that may not be the case.

on many cars there are disused plugs, because they reused the same harness for some accessories, for example the parking brake sensor not every car had them there is the sensor switch on the parking brake assembly that the connector slides on to but there is also the light on the dashboard if you didn't have the convenience pack then you didn't get the dash light or the sensor but the connector is still present.

up till late 72 the connectors for the foot well lights was also present but may be unused if the car didn't have the option installed.

the map light was part of the 71 harness but not part of the 72 harness.

point is you want to check what options your car was built with before you go nuts trying to plug everything into something when that may not be the case.
Thank you for the extensive detail, funny thing is the brake light does remain on when the emergency brake is engaged, however there is nothing connecting to that boot or the brake itself except for mechanical things.... black magic man... lol

i have tried to look up what the car brought. but no results :/

now here are these connections,

These are located all above the Glove box compartment and under the dashpad.

2zp2plz.jpg

if i remember correctly from another thread, the Yellow is power to circuit breaker for A/C, green is A/C output from circuit breaker...... what the heck does the red box connect to? and what about the black rectangle with the 3 female connections?

then there's this lone ranger..... no freaking clue what this light gray connection is for. all i know is that the yellow cylinder is signal flasher thingy lol

f21rmd.jpg

moving to the center of the dash assembly we have this random boot extending from the huge cluster of wires but i couldn't see anything to connect it with.

353dp2a.jpg

i have no clock or accessories just a basic mach1 by VIN# i think i was bamboozled when i bought this thing. -_-

Finally the Drivers side of the Dashboard. i saw this a while back and thought of the horn because of the way the the connection looks like.. then i noticed the car is filled with connections like these -_- i already know the other lose connector holds a bulb for dash cluster.

qsmdlj.jpg

and can someone tell me where this ground connects to? i feel that when i accidentally broke the darn wire it caused my headlights to not turn on anymore :/ location: under the dash drivers side RIGHT ABOVE the parking brake release.

15i5lxy.jpg

thank you all for your patience and Great expertise! i would not know what to do if it wasnt for this great site. google sucks now a days.

Guys, was there ever any electrical connections to the 71 ebrake setup?
not to be a dick but according to ebay, yes lol

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-1972-1973-Mustang-Mach-1-Boss-Grande-Cougar-ORIG-PARKING-BRAKE-LIGHT-SWITCH-/161108083608

all jokes aside i was informed earlier in the thread that they all came with the green boot for that connection, IF AND ONLY IF, it was ordered on the cars purchase. some have the sensor, some don't. all have the boot just hanging there or neatly tucked away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shouldn't the freely available schematic identify all of these connections?

It could save you time and frustration...

I rewired my whole car from this one schematic .... Originally brought to my attention by Randy (midlife)....

I used the poor man's b/w version... Too cheap to buy the colored version...!

Do yourself a favour and grab a copy...

Shouldn't the freely available schematic identify all of these connections?

It could save you time and frustration...
i have no clue what the hell i am looking at when looking at those things. cant read/follow a schematic for crap. :[ ill give it a try if you direct me where to find this thing? :]

In your case, please do yourself a favour and buy the colored version. It will help alot more than you think...(especially once you get the hang of it).

Search in Google for 71 electrical schematic wiring diagram. Think of it like "join the dots" for adults...

Last edited by a moderator:
now here are these connections,

These are located all above the Glove box compartment and under the dashpad.

2zp2plz.jpg

if i remember correctly from another thread, the Yellow is power to circuit breaker for A/C, green is A/C output from circuit breaker...... what the heck does the red box connect to? and what about the black rectangle with the 3 female connections? The black flat thingy is for headlamp on relay. The red box is part of that wiring as well, but can be left alone as it does not affect car performance.

then there's this lone ranger..... no freaking clue what this light gray connection is for. all i know is that the yellow cylinder is signal flasher thingy lol That's the connector to the actual light for headlamps on and key off

f21rmd.jpg

moving to the center of the dash assembly we have this random boot extending from the huge cluster of wires but i couldn't see anything to connect it with. That's your radio power and light lead.

353dp2a.jpg

i have no clock or accessories just a basic mach1 by VIN# i think i was bamboozled when i bought this thing. -_-Nope

Finally the Drivers side of the Dashboard. i saw this a while back and thought of the horn because of the way the the connection looks like.. then i noticed the car is filled with connections like these -_- i already know the other lose connector holds a bulb for dash cluster. That's for your underdash courtesy lights.

qsmdlj.jpg

and can someone tell me where this ground connects to? i feel that when i accidentally broke the darn wire it caused my headlights to not turn on anymore :/ location: under the dash drivers side RIGHT ABOVE the parking brake release. Obviously a ground lead, so find the mate to the broken wire and splice them together.

15i5lxy.jpg

thank you all for your patience and Great expertise! i would not know what to do if it wasnt for this great site. google sucks now a days.

Guys, was there ever any electrical connections to the 71 ebrake setup?
not to be a dick but according to ebay, yes lol

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-1972-1973-Mustang-Mach-1-Boss-Grande-Cougar-ORIG-PARKING-BRAKE-LIGHT-SWITCH-/161108083608

all jokes aside i was informed earlier in the thread that they all came with the green boot for that connection, IF AND ONLY IF, it was ordered on the cars purchase. some have the sensor, some don't. all have the boot just hanging there or neatly tucked away.

and can someone tell me where this ground connects to? i feel that when i accidentally broke the darn wire it caused my headlights to not turn on anymore :/ location: under the dash drivers side RIGHT ABOVE the parking brake release. Obviously a ground lead, so find the mate to the broken wire and splice them together.

The ground above the brake handle does not look factory

thank you sooo much for all your help you're awesome!!! i love everyone on this site :]

Back