I ran across this.....

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice! A few years ago I needed one and a good used one was pretty hard to find. I have never seen them reproduced before. Great link!

I don't know about the original material, that deteriorated over time, but SS coarse steel wool worked for me. Chuck

That is excellent info to share re: where to get the separator valve from. I have attached a file related to this subject, to include some info that may help "kevken1959" with his question (PDF file pages 19-21). Page 20 has some info from Dave Fowler on the foam insert in the vapor separator valve.

Where was that info 3 years agon when I replaced my tank and entire fuel system, minus a new vent.
It's been mentioned before, but I opted for a piece of green Scotch Brite. That may have been a mistake, but I'm not about to drop the tank to find out.

Where was that info 3 years agon when I replaced my tank and entire fuel system, minus a new vent.
It's been mentioned before, but I opted for a piece of green Scotch Brite. That may have been a mistake, but I'm not about to drop the tank to find out.
See PDF file page 19 in the document I posted above (as an attached file, and in this post as a ScreenShot of the attached file). I think you are going to be fine as long as you used a material that is impervious to gasoline (and ethanol), and will let air/vapor to pass through it.

1658680001746.png

Attachments

• 1973Mustang_VolumeVI_EmissionControlSystems_Chapter6_20210210.pdf
    5.1 MB · Views: 1
See PDF file page 19 in the document I posted above (as an attached file, and in this post as a ScreenShot of the attached file). I think you are going to be fine as long as you used a material that is impervious to gasoline (and ethanol), and will let air/vapor to pass through it.

View attachment 66061
Thanks.

And a tip of the hat to ACP for once again reproducing a badly needed part for Ford fans. Although this valve was used from 71-73 (through 75 on the Maverick) on all Ford corporate car lines except station wagons and Rancheros, the Mustang application doesn't hurt. I've seen used ones (when you could find them) that looked like they were dug out of a mud pit sell for double ACP's $55.00 price. Many of us have discovered when pulling the fuel tank on these 50+-year-old cars that very little if any of the foam material was left in the valve.
Ford used an open cell foam material to permit fuel vapors to pass through the vapor separator valve to the charcoal canister. It also kept liquid fuel and debris from entering the orifice and possibly stopping the vapor line up, allowing the fuel system not to vent properly. As you can see, the orifice is very small and could easily get stopped up with the smallest amount of debris. With how our fuel system is vented, it is vital to keep the orifice clear and open to the charcoal canister.
I have used stainless steel pot scrubbers such as Scotch-Brite, Chore Boy, etc. They use a ribbon-type material that would be less apt to stop up the filter on your sender unit than some other materials if some were to drop down into the tank.

Attachments

• 9B328-D1AZ-A1.jpg
    9B328-D1AZ-A1.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 0
  • stainless.jpg
    stainless.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 0
Back