I waited 30 months for this...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, 351 4v CJ, C6, Mach 1 Decor options, power: steering, brakes and windows, a/c, Rally Pac gauges, Deluxe interior.
[url=https://ibb.co/ZVjjKXW][img]https://i.ibb.co/zrMMbxG/s-l1600-2.jpg[/img][/url]
...and it arrived today! I am serious -- I placed the order with SMS in January 2020 and it just arrived. Kim kept me convinced they'd get the machine working and patience paid off. For anyone new or otherwise unaware, Ford stopped production of the woven vinyl known as "Comfortweave" in 1973. Once existing stock was used up, that was it -- until Kim of SMS Fabrics bought the machinery and *got it working again. I had been keeping in touch but he didn't tell me they actually had product to ship so this is a very nice surprise.

The guy that did my convertible top is actually an upholsterer and he'll take it from here!

Attachments

• IMG_1538.JPG
    IMG_1538.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 71
Great news for many Fords and Mercury's. Do you know if they will be making the white and grey stripe comfort weave for white interiors? Yours kind of looks like grey and black.

Interested in new white front covers with black comfortweave inserts.who do I contact?

Glad to see others are as enthused as I was surprised! Contact for the Comfortweave is SMS Fabrics (https://smsautofabrics.com). I ordered *only* the fabric in black, but while they do sell other colors and other parts for interiors. Check with them for availability. Samples are free.

I have heard TMI will "customize" their seat covers with a customer's fabric and I will be checking into that although my upholstery guy is confident we can get existing replacement covers and replace the centers with the Comfortweave.

I way over ordered at 3 yards, and I do expect to have leftover fabric. Happy shopping.

Glad to see others are as enthused as I was surprised! Contact for the Comfortweave is SMS Fabrics (https://smsautofabrics.com). I ordered *only* the fabric in black, but while they do sell other colors and other parts for interiors. Check with them for availability. Samples are free.

I have heard TMI will "customize" their seat covers with a customer's fabric and I will be checking into that although my upholstery guy is confident we can get existing replacement covers and replace the centers with the Comfortweave.

I way over ordered at 3 yards, and I do expect to have leftover fabric. Happy shopping.
I contacted TMI a few years ago and they had no clue about my factory interior with grey and white stripes. I am now wondering what fabric that was used about ten years ago on a 69 GT fastback I had restored with the comfort weave and another 69 that had to of been reupolstered. They looked factory.

This is very good news! Congratulations on your patience!

If you over ordered, how much over do you think you were? Also, does anyone have an idea how many yards would be required for front and rear convertible seat inserts?

This is very good news! Congratulations on your patience!

If you over ordered, how much over do you think you were?
The fabric is 58” wide and how much I over ordered will depend on whether we can get three or only two pieces across.

I waited almost two years myself for material they said was in stock and would be shipped immediately. They charged my credit card and I felt lucky to finally get my money back. I think SMS is a company with the most unscrupulous business practices that there is. They may be the only game in town but I would love for folks to send me money and I bank it for two years without ever producing any product. Seems like they did you the same way but you were fortunate to finally get your materials and I’m glad for you. If anyone is considering buying from them, I would suggest you look at their Better Business Bureau rating and/or Google them.

I waited almost two years myself for material they said was in stock and would be shipped immediately. They charged my credit card and I felt lucky to finally get my money back. I think SMS is a company with the most unscrupulous business practices that there is. They may be the only game in town but I would love for folks to send me money and I bank it for two years without ever producing any product. Seems like they did you the same way but you were fortunate to finally get your materials and I’m glad for you. If anyone is considering buying from them, I would suggest you look at their Better Business Bureau rating and/or Google them.
The catch is they're the only game in town offering Comfortweave. So if you gotta have it, you gotta deal with SMS. I will admit several times in the past 30 months I was nearing my limit of no updates and no progress, but then I resigned myself to there's no where else to get it. And the stamped Comfortweave-like fabric was not going to cut it so I waited. And waited. And waited... and they came through.

Back