Ideas to coat underside of porch to keep woodpecker

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 w/408C stroker
Hopefully someone can give me an idea here. We have a 4 seasons porch one one side of the house. A few years ago I put two layers of foam board insulation to the underside to keep the temperature under control during the winter. So what happened is that in the last two years I have had this annoying woodpecker making holes on the foam and making a mess. I have taped over the holes and the little guy picks another area to make another hole. I have no idea how to trap a woodpecker so I am wondering if I can coat/paint the underside of the foam with a coat that will be hard enough to keep the little guy away. I thought I could use some type of underbody paint. I would like it to be brown to match the wood. Any ideas?

Hopefully someone can give me an idea here. We have a 4 seasons porch one one side of the house. A few years ago I put two layers of foam board insulation to the underside to keep the temperature under control during the winter. So what happened is that in the last two years I have had this annoying woodpecker making holes on the foam and making a mess. I have taped over the holes and the little guy picks another area to make another hole. I have no idea how to trap a woodpecker so I am wondering if I can coat/paint the underside of the foam with a coat that will be hard enough to keep the little guy away. I thought I could use some type of underbody paint. I would like it to be brown to match the wood. Any ideas?
25 Years ago a neighbor had a horrible problem with the red headed wood peckers. I did some research for a deterrent. I found a 110v device that omitted a noise they cant stand. He bought it and NO more wood peckers. He has since moved otherwise I would give you the model #.

hang chicken wire  6 inch's off the bottom of the deck hopefully  he has a small pecker   and cant reach through to the foam  small 1x2 or 2x4 nailed to the rafter  spaced every 4 to 6 feet 

Last edited by a moderator:
I had squirrels chewing on our pergola this summer.  Painted the area with ghost pepper salsa.  No more chewing!

kcmash

I have had this for 45 years, resealed twice and loads of critters smoked, the biggest being a Canada goose.

Back