Idler arm replacement

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJHStang

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Ford Mustang Mach 1
[url=https://ibb.co/b33Pn4f][img]https://i.ibb.co/6ZZm5Kd/20190723-095138-1.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=https://freeonlinedice.com/]black and red dice[/url]
I thought I found a thread on one of the forums regarding idler arms for 71-73 Mach 1’s
It showed buying from West Coast Classic Cougar.
I found this one.
Reproduction Idler Arm for the 1971, 1972 and 1973 Mercury Cougar and Ford Mustang.
I have attached a picture. It is just under $50 each and looks like what I have on my 71 mach 1. The one on my driver side has a grease zero.

I don’t drive my car very much so not looking for expensive one.

Attachments

• 284E1FBA-1624-4BAA-B5C0-E6CAC3D4A1C6.jpeg
    284E1FBA-1624-4BAA-B5C0-E6CAC3D4A1C6.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
When I did mine, I bought from NPD # 3355-1 now sell at $56.60. I did have to extend the top slot upward to fit, but that was not a big deal. It does have grease fittings. The Rare Parts idler arm is better quality, but they're expensive.
I did post a sketch that shows the important geometry before, but here it is again. It's not pretty, but the dimensions X & Y are the important ones to consider.

Attachments

• Idler Arm redrawn.pdf
    194.1 KB · Views: 4
Moog has a replacement bushing for $15.75
I thought I found a thread on one of the forums regarding idler arms for 71-73 Mach 1’s
I found this one.
Reproduction Idler Arm for the 1971, 1972 and 1973 Mercury Cougar and Ford Mustang.
I have attached a picture. It is just under $50 each and looks like what I have on my 71 mach 1. The one on my driver side has a grease zero.

When I did mine, I bought from NPD # 3355-1 now sell at $56.60. I did have to extend the top slot upward to fit, but that was not a big deal. It does have grease fittings. The Rare Parts idler arm is better quality, but they're expensive.
I did post a sketch that shows the important geometry before, but here it is again. It's not pretty, but the dimensions X & Y are the important ones to consider.

I saw the link below showing the West coast cougar link to their web site. I looked at it and that is the one I attached the picture of.
Thank you

This may be a dumb question but do I need different idler arms for the driver side and passenger side since I have power steering?

Attachments

• IMG_0673.png
    IMG_0673.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
This may be a dumb question but do I need different idler arms for the driver side and passenger side since I have power steering?

There is only one Idler arm on the passenger (right) side. The steering box has a Pitman Arm.
There is no such thing as a dumb question, just dumb answers.

Thank you.

I did some more looking and discussing with a friend and glad I didn’t order 2.
I have to get back underneath and check out the pitman arm. See it it is loose and how it looks.
The idler arm bushings are flattened.

I found this one.

Th idler arm from WCCC part number 26729 is the exact one that I replaced onto my Mustang about a two months ago. My car has factory power steering. The arm fitted perfectly and side by side with the old one the geometry of the part was identical as far as I could see. Also, the car didn't need a wheel alignment after installation, no change that I could discern to the tracking of the steering.

Back