I'm An Idiot

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible H Code, 351C 2V FMX
OK, so I'm in the process of pulling the harmonic balancer off, getting great tips from people, because it's a bear. I watched a video that said to loosen the the bolt until it's almost off and then rest the puller on that for some extra leverage as you begin pulling it. I make good progress until it's almost off, and then it gets sticky and eventually I can't even turn the cheater bar without risk of breaking the puller. What's the problem, I'm asking myself as I spray quarts of penetrating oil all around? I never completely removed the puller at any time, so I never see the face of the HB. Do I need to apply some searious heat to get this sucker off, I ask?

In my sleep I go through the steps to get 'er loose, and finally visualize the bolt that remains attached by a few threads which is getting in the way.

I am officially declaring myself a knucklehead, for the rest of today and maybe this whole week as well, and I've changed my User Title to reflect that. What a moron! :rolleyes:

Doc

OK, so I'm in the process of pulling the harmonic balancer off, getting great tips from people, because it's a bear. I watched a video that said to loosen the the bolt until it's almost off and then rest the puller on that for some extra leverage as you begin pulling it. I make good progress until it's almost off, and then it gets sticky and eventually I can't even turn the cheater bar without risk of breaking the puller. What's the problem, I'm asking myself as I spray quarts of penetrating oil all around? I never completely removed the puller at any time, so I never see the face of the HB. Do I need to apply some searious heat to get this sucker off, I ask?

In my sleep I go through the steps to get 'er loose, and finally visualize the bolt that remains attached by a few threads which is getting in the way.

I am officially declaring myself a knucklehead, for the rest of today and maybe this whole week as well, and I've changed my User Title to reflect that. What a moron! :rolleyes:

Doc
Happens to the best of us Doc. Nobody got hurt besides your pride, move on and forget it happened.

If I posted up everything I've done that fell into the "idiot" category I would fill the forum and crash the server.

Dont beat yourself up over it. You learned the hard way...just like me! Welcome to the club.

its called the Doofus Award.

We have all gotten one before and will again.

Welcome to the club.

If a Doofus award goes wrong its called a Darwin award.

Yes you are Doc! :D Jus Kidding! Been there, done that, but always feels good when you find it and no harm done. That's why I try to have an extra pair of eyes. For example, the other day I did an oil change but forgot to put the oil drain screw on and the oil drained back out. My Dad caught this and well, luckly only one quart down the drain. I would've poured all 5 quarts, then checked the dip stick and saw nothing and probably would've poured another quart and another and never realized the dang oil was draining out the plug LOL! So don't feel bad, there's even a bigger idjiot out there :p

Last edited by a moderator:
no harm done, I would have kept turning the wrench untill something snaped.

In the past I have removed the thick washer and put the balancer bolt by itself, the balancer will come all the way out and the bolt in there will protect the crankshaft threads

Thanks, everyone! I'm certainly human just like everyone else.

I got home today, went straight to the garage (even though it's now down in teens again) and removed the harmonic balancer and water pump in about three minutes:

Harmonic balancer and waterpump removed (Small).JPG

More info in the Wiki, very soon! Thanks again for the encouragement.

Doc

Doc
Doc that's what this car stuff is all about. Mike

Just to make you feel better, a couple of month ago, my car didn´t brake correctly... I started to ckeck everything and i was sure the problem was the proportioning valve... y tryed to take it off and broke all the brake lines, and of course, the liquid sensor too.. broken...

It turns to be the Master Cylynder that was badly repaired so now i have all the lines "invented" and theres is not proportioning valve in my car because of the mess i did down there... My car blocks in the rear and it was ALL MY FAULT!

I want the Doofus Award on my avatar please ;)

Just to make you feel better, a couple of month ago, my car didn´t brake correctly... I started to ckeck everything and i was sure the problem was the proportioning valve... y tryed to take it off and broke all the brake lines, and of course, the liquid sensor too.. broken...

It turns to be the Master Cylynder that was badly repaired so now i have all the lines "invented" and theres is not proportioning valve in my car because of the mess i did down there... My car blocks in the rear and it was ALL MY FAULT!

I want the Doofus Award on my avatar please ;)
LOL! Now I DEFINITELY don't feel so bad. :s I hope you get everything squared away eventually.

I'll get the Doofus Award to you as soon as I'm finished with it. :p

Doc

Of course guys.... as much angry as I was with myself, i knew those things happens and lesson learned for me... I'll eventually gonna fix it somehow and i never ever ever do that again...

I do everything in my cars so i´m used to be a first timer on one particular thing once in a while.. In some my common sence helps me to get it right and sometimes.. as this time... my common sence was totally gone!

Well... we keep in touch! ;)

Back