I'm surprised parts stores don't have rebuilt power brake boosters for these.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul M

Reaction score
My Car
73 loaded Q code car w/a 351 4v C6 it came with 2 cars in parts.
Power brake booster 73. I take it my best bet is online @ 229.00 ... Very few of the systems stayed the course on this car. It's nickel and diming me to the very end. I wanted to test drive it on the street, instead of toying around in the back yard and the pedal is hard yet kinda useless. Oh well, another week.

Attachments

• IMG_3905.JPG
    IMG_3905.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
I take it were scrapping the old brake boosters.

We have a member that can rebuild it. If anyone knows how to get ahold of David, let Paul know. I do know that David has a difficult time getting on this site for some reason. But as we all know, he probably has one of the most vast knowledge of our cars. And I know that he has addressed this subject. Good luck Paul, hope you can get this fixed.

The box auto parts stores (O'Reilly's, AutoZone, et al) will take your 'core' and ship it off the Cardone to be rebuilt. Since the '71-'73 Mustang is such a niche market, none of those places carry anything stock. You're best bet is to go with GPS Automotive: https://leedbrakes.com/i-21155650-9-inch-power-brake-booster-black.html That's where I got mine from, and it works like a champ! I'd originally bought one from NPD that said it was the right one, and it wasn't even close (they've since changed the picture from one of the OEM style): https://www.npdlink.com/product/booster-assy-new/103483/203210 (just $110 more, too!).

Try Cardone. I got a rebuilt booster from them several years ago. They may still do booster re
We have a member that can rebuild it. If anyone knows how to get ahold of David, let Paul know. I do know that David has a difficult time getting on this site for some reason. But as we all know, he probably has one of the most vast knowledge of our cars. And I know that he has addressed this subject. Good luck Paul, hope you can get this fixed.
Thanks for the reply. I picked up the Leeds unit w/ tax 249.00 & a Sept 6th Shipping date. I'm still interested since I have the old one.

The box auto parts stores (O'Reilly's, AutoZone, et al) will take your 'core' and ship it off the Cardone to be rebuilt. Since the '71-'73 Mustang is such a niche market, none of those places carry anything stock. You're best bet is to go with GPS Automotive: https://leedbrakes.com/i-21155650-9-inch-power-brake-booster-black.html That's where I got mine from, and it works like a champ! I'd originally bought one from NPD that said it was the right one, and it wasn't even close (they've since changed the picture from one of the OEM style): https://www.npdlink.com/product/booster-assy-new/103483/203210 (just $110 more, too!).
Strange thing w/ all the local parts stores on this. It took a day to find out they cant get one. Yep went w/ the Leads most sold at 249 after tax wk wait.

Last edited:
Try Cardone. I got a rebuilt booster from them several years ago. They may still do booster remans.
I think leeds now has the mkt on them @ 229 plus tx at 249.00 and a week wait. Not like the old days when you could buy one and put it on in a day.

Strange thing w/ all the local parts stores on this. It took a day to find out they cant get one. Yep went w/ the Leads most sold at 249 after tax wk wait. I sure liked the old advertisements of @ 100 that still pop up

I went through this one year ago. Found out that all big and smaller suppliers that advertised them as available (and you could even buy them) didn't have them, they canceled my order often between 1-3 days. Hope you will have more luck. I ended up rebuilding my existing booster with a parts kit but still had to fabricate my own firewall gasket. I ordered the kit of https://harmonclassicbrakes.com/ which also offer a rebuild service and already rebuilt boosters of our cars. I'd necessary try also WCCC - they may have some in inventory and also a good vid about this.

Tim

Eric, I tried one of the Bendix style, 8" diam. boosters, but with shock tower braces, it would not, nor never will fit. I guess I got lucky by finding a Cardone original reman through my local parts store.
This poses a problem for the purists out there if the 11" original style is no longer available.

Last edited:
Power brake booster 73. I take it my best bet is online @ 229.00 ... Very few of the systems stayed the course on this car. It's nickel and diming me to the very end. I wanted to test drive it on the street, instead of toying around in the back yard and the pedal is hard yet kinda useless. Oh well, another week.

Are you 100% sure that it's the booster? I had a rock hard pedal on my '69 so I replaced the booster. Turns out it was the rubber flex hose that goes from chassis to axle for the back brakes. It had swelled closed. Apparently this is a fairly common issue as our cars age. Something to check while you look for a booster.

Eric, I tried one of the Bendix style, 8" diam. boosters, but with shock tower braces, it would not, nor never will fit. I guess I got lucky by finding a Cardone original reman through my local parts store.
This poses a problem for the purists out there if the 11" original style is no longer available.
I didn't even get that far with the NPD unit - the bolt pattern for the firewall wasn't even close. I checked P/Ns on the invoice, the part itself, and their website thinking they just sent me the wrong one - they all matched, so just wasn't the right part for the car. I think I was so rapt in getting my car back together that I forgot to send it back (probably still lingering in the garage).

I didn't even get that far with the NPD unit - the bolt pattern for the firewall wasn't even close. I checked P/Ns on the invoice, the part itself, and their website thinking they just sent me the wrong one - they all matched, so just wasn't the right part for the car. I think I was so rapt in getting my car back together that I forgot to send it back (probably still lingering in the garage).
I didn't get that far. As soon as I could see it was going to be right in the middle of the shock tower brace, I scrapped that idea and took it back for a refund.
This is the problem overall with so-called "it's gotta fit, it's for a Mustang" parts, is they don't fit, but the vendors keep trying to sell us total BS parts. What part of 71-73 is NOT the same as 67-68 or whatever, don't they get?

Back