Improved Handling Option

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible
Im replacing my front coil springs and went to Eaton Detorit springs to order.  I see they have a spring for "Improved handling".  I called them to ask what that was and they said it was an option for some mustangs and before I order I should know whether I have that option.  I searched this site and the interweb but I could not find any specification that tells me if I have this option.  I did find a spec. that said, "Heavy Duty" suspension was available for Mach 1's, which included "heavier" springs and shocks but not a lot of detail

Anyone have any literature on what the Improved Handling option was?

1973 Convertible

351C 2V

The "Improved Handling" is the Competition Suspension. It was available as an option on all models except when equipped with the 250 6 cylinder engine. It was standard on the Mach1, Boss 351 and the C and J code 429 cars. It included heavy duty front and rear springs, shock absorbers, HD front stabilizer bar (rear for 351 4bl and up) and staggered rear  shocks for performance engines.

Do you have any original paperwork on your car or a Marti report? If not you can still look for color codes on your springs or try to find the Buck Tag which I believe for 73's is on the left front side of he radiator support. Just let us know if you need any further help with your spring project.

Trust me. H code mach didn't have nothing real special about the suspensen

I figured as much Red, except if I have any of the heavier suspension it may make a difference of what springs Eaton recommends. Here is the info from my build sheet, but I cannot find any on-line tables that can decipher them. If anyone has a table of what is what on the build sheet please share the link.

Can anyone tell if the codes below tell me if I have the heavier suspension?

Drive Shaft Rear Shocks Springs Stabalizer bars

Color Codes Axle rear Front Rear Front Front

V R W OR 95 C R Y O V V V G Y YY

The spaces between arent coming out in this reply so ill see if I can get a better table

Last edited by a moderator:
Trust me.  H code mach  didn't have nothing real special about the suspensen
No staggered shocks or big sway bars, but it did have the upgraded shocks, heavier duty springs and variable ratio steering if a P/S equipped car. Miles ahead of the mushomatic standard springs and tug boat steering. 

What options does your car have? Auto (FMX or C-6)? P/S? A/C? Let me know that and I can get you the ford # for the C/S spring for your convertible.

My 73 vert came with the comp suspension option. I can't be certain that what I have now is what it rolled out of the factory with, but I do have a rear sway bar without staggered shocks. Mine was an H code at birth as well. I would stick with the Eaton springs recommendation for your application.

In 71 & 72 Magnum 500 rims were only available if you added competition suspension so mine has both. (Marti says so too)

It was a 302 car and it has no rear sway bar. There are no mounting holes either so it never had one. There seems to be some inconsistency in what components they had installed, maybe related to which engine was in the car.

Also my front sway bar seems pretty thin (I don't like how that sounds :/ ) for an upgraded from stock part.

In 71 & 72 Magnum 500 rims were only available if you added competition suspension so mine has both. (Marti says so too)

It was a 302 car and it has no rear sway bar. There are no mounting holes either so it never had one. There seems to be some inconsistency in what components they had installed, maybe related to which engine was in the car.

Also my front sway bar seems pretty thin (I don't like how that sounds :/ ) for an upgraded from stock part.
7/8" front bar, rear bar and staggered shocks only came on 4V cars. Everyone else got the 3/4" front bar.

Rear bar was 1/2" on M & Q code, 5/8" on 429 & 71 & 72 R-code 351s

Here are the build sheet numbers, found the sheet under the front passenger sound deading in a pool of coolant.  I cant be sure this is what is in the car but its a good start.  The car was restored 1995 and it seems the coils are a 2" drop.  Maybe the only thing left from stock is the rear spring, the KYB shocks look new.  Can anyone decipher this?  I was hoping the front stabilizer was going to be the magic bullet but with what Luxstang is saying, but its not, my front is 3/4".

Red, the car has all of those, Auto, C-6, P/S,  & A/C.  Most likely im going to go with the non-improved handling and one inch drop front coils from Eaton.  Worst case is I replace the leafs some day.  

So just to be clear, there is no book, table, schedule or tree that breaks down the build sheets completey and all in one place?  I looked for hours last night on the internet and could not find anything.  I bet it would be a best seller. 

upload foto share link

Just a constant ratio p/s for the mach's . Variable ratio if with comp. susp. What I noticed collecting p/s Saginaw boxes over the years is some mach's got a different constant ratio box. Some were 4 turns others were 5 lock to lock, but they all still had the same metal tag code. Anybody could add a rear sway bar. The problems is the ones that weren't from the factory line didn't have the inside frame treaded anchor, just the empty hole. You Just need to be creative as to how to snake the anchor inside and hold it place till bolted.

Is it possible to add staggered shocks to a standard sport roof model? Big advantage over the non staggered setup?

73droptop,

I looked on my copy of the 65-72 Ford master catalog and could not find the front coil spring code like Hemikiller. I will have to look under my 1973-1979 FMC book to located spring code. I also purchased the 1 inch lower, heavy duty, front coil from Eaton springs.

Thanks Hemi and mustang, i appreciate the detective work. I just double checked the letters, they are very clear and correct. I ordered the standard coils with the one inch lower.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back