In Search Of... Gas Tank for 73 Conv

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

73StangJK

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Convertible
351W, Tremec 3550
Howdy Y'all,

I need a new gas tank since after 8 years of little use the one in my 73 Stang developed a leak. I was stupid and so not know how many gallons of weirdness are in that old tank.

I see a few different sources for new gas tanks for our year mustangs with a price range from $165 to $660.

Is there any specific thing I need to watch or for with buying a new gas tank?

I have wanted to do efi for ages but think I'm dropping all the DYI EFI is started collecting parts for in favor of one of the Eldelbrock Pro 4 fuel injection systems. I got lazy when I had two boys all of a sudden. :)

I believe most of us who replaced our tanks with a stock unit prefer the Spectra tank. That’s what I did. Also, if you decide to do the EFI, on the maintenance tutorial section of this forum, there is a great hack from a fellow Mustang owner to use the vent opening for a in tank fuel unit. I used that, and utilizing a different pump than the one in the tutorial (it was for a carb setup), I was able to adapt a stock Ford EFI system.

If you decide you want to go with one of the larger GPM EFI systems, it would be a good idea to obtain a tank now that will allow for that larger in tank fuel system. Saves you the money over buying two tanks. Steve

Mine says the name brand is "Mr. Mustang". Its the fuel tank, straps, sending unit, gasket, etc. My receipt shows the same part number as this listing. It was $180 when I ordered it 2yr ago. They've gone up on the price. https://www.topflightautomotive.com...kit-22-gallon-w-out-drain-plug-250-302-351ci/

I still think its not a terrible deal for everything that it comes with. It installed without any issues in my mach1.

I have not seen any fuel tanks for our cars that are ready for an in-tank fuel pump for EFI. I guess you either have to fab one up or go with an out-of-tank electric pump for EFI.

Aeromotive makes a fuel tank that has an electric fuel pump in it set up for EFI but they were on back order for the last few months. Aeromotive said there supplier of the actual tanks they use to build the set up were the supply issue. They told me they had everything else to build out the tank except for the tank itself, they may be available now. In March, I gave up and ordered a conventional tank from NPD and went with a mechanical fuel pump and carburetor because I was on the fence about installing EFI in the first place and after waiting almost six months and being told there was no promise date, I decided just to go with the carb set up.

Just a grain of salt here...

Many buy an in tank pump for their EFI because many complained about the noise an external pomp does.
Well, sure you can buy on E-bay low quality pumps that are noisy, but from the picts I saw, most installed their external pumps the wrong way
I won't throw mud at them, as I've seen many of these great "install your EFI in a weekend videos" from the manufacturers which are displaying
in my view, poor installs. Basically using their provided clamp with a thin insulation and bolting it to the rail. Yeah, no wonder these pumps are noisy...
For my Sniper, bought as a kit with the Holley pump (the one often said to be noisy), I made a casing, which aside protecting the pump, is well insulated and the bracket pump to casing inside is isolated as well. As a results when I turn the key, paying attention, I can hear a far away pumping noise for a sec or two when the car has not been driven for a week or more, otherwise near nothing, then the IAC check noise and then the first injectors prime. Once started, zero pumping noise. My 93 t-bird with in tank pump was actually doing much more noise when idling...

As about the trick @Steve McMahan mentioned. You can indeed use the top opening. As the opening hole is the exact same as the sending unit,
you can add a filter to the original to vent and if you will run a return line too, find a used or buy a cheapo sending unit, ditch the electrics and floater. You have then a safe connection that perfectly fits with also enough room for the trunk floor, and there is enough space on the plate to either solder a second tube or add a screw-in one fuel connectors to add a vent line. Cheap, safe and minor to no fab involved.

and while at it, there is one thing 99% of electric pump installs are missing: add an inertia switch!! For $15 or less, in case of rear impact/accident, the pump will be disconnected.

Yea, a second vote on the inertia switch. Kilgon’s vent opening tutorial is a great option for those who want an in-tank pump, but don’t need a race-capable GPH system.

Mine says the name brand is "Mr. Mustang". Its the fuel tank, straps, sending unit, gasket, etc. My receipt shows the same part number as this listing. It was $180 when I ordered it 2yr ago. They've gone up on the price. https://www.topflightautomotive.com...kit-22-gallon-w-out-drain-plug-250-302-351ci/

I still think its not a terrible deal for everything that it comes with. It installed without any issues in my mach1.

I have not seen any fuel tanks for our cars that are ready for an in-tank fuel pump for EFI. I guess you either have to fab one up or go with an out-of-tank electric pump for EFI.
I ordered an Aeromotive Stealth fuel tank with
Aeromotive makes a fuel tank that has an electric fuel pump in it set up for EFI but they were on back order for the last few months. Aeromotive said there supplier of the actual tanks they use to build the set up were the supply issue. They told me they had everything else to build out the tank except for the tank itself, they may be available now. In March, I gave up and ordered a conventional tank from NPD and went with a mechanical fuel pump and carburetor because I was on the fence about installing EFI in the first place and after waiting almost six months and being told there was no promise date, I decided just to go with the carb set up.
I ordered an Aeromotive Stealth fuel tank with the electric fuel pump and sending unit from CJ Pony last Saturday. They just happened to have one in stock. I also just checked Summit Racing this morning and they claim to have 5 in stock so if anyone needs one check it out.

Just a grain of salt here...

Many buy an in tank pump for their EFI because many complained about the noise an external pomp does.
Well, sure you can buy on E-bay low quality pumps that are noisy, but from the picts I saw, most installed their external pumps the wrong way
I won't throw mud at them, as I've seen many of these great "install your EFI in a weekend videos" from the manufacturers which are displaying
in my view, poor installs. Basically using their provided clamp with a thin insulation and bolting it to the rail. Yeah, no wonder these pumps are noisy...
For my Sniper, bought as a kit with the Holley pump (the one often said to be noisy), I made a casing, which aside protecting the pump, is well insulated and the bracket pump to casing inside is isolated as well. As a results when I turn the key, paying attention, I can hear a far away pumping noise for a sec or two when the car has not been driven for a week or more, otherwise near nothing, then the IAC check noise and then the first injectors prime. Once started, zero pumping noise. My 93 t-bird with in tank pump was actually doing much more noise when idling...

As about the trick @Steve McMahan mentioned. You can indeed use the top opening. As the opening hole is the exact same as the sending unit,
you can add a filter to the original to vent and if you will run a return line too, find a used or buy a cheapo sending unit, ditch the electrics and floater. You have then a safe connection that perfectly fits with also enough room for the trunk floor, and there is enough space on the plate to either solder a second tube or add a screw-in one fuel connectors to add a vent line. Cheap, safe and minor to no fab involved.

and while at it, there is one thing 99% of electric pump installs are missing: add an inertia switch!! For $15 or less, in case of rear impact/accident, the pump will be disconnected.
All excellent suggestions... Thank you for sharing a Real Life situation re: pump noise and how you eliminated it.

An aside, re: replacement tanks. The 71-73 fuel tank capacity was 20 gallons. The 71-73 Mustangs have a liquid fuel feed hose, coming out of the sending unit assembly, as well as a fuel vapor control line that runs under the passenger side of the vehicle and connects the fuel tank venting connection to the carbon filled evaporative control tank behind the inner wheel housing. With EFI systems you will need (other than some cases with a different design) a liquid fuel return line. I strongly suggest you resist the temptation to use the fuel vapor control line for the purpose of returning liquid fuel to the tank. The factory configuration of the fuel evaporative control system is one of those emission control systems that does no harm to the performance or reliability of an engine, and in fact makes it easier to live with as opposed to vehicles from earlier years that vented fuel vapors into the atmosphere (as inside a garage). That said, for any EFI capable fuel tank I suggest you make certain it is set up with the liquid fuel feed connection, a liquid fuel return line connection, as well as the fuel vapor control line connection.

For anyone wondering how the fuel evaporative control system should look and be hooked up, I offer the following link, and attached files.

https://youtu.be/n9woMnHByts

https://youtu.be/SsbtiPWY9sU

https://youtu.be/SsbtiPWY9sU

Attachments

• 1973Mustang_VolumeVI_EmissionControlSystems_Chapter6_20210210.pdf
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4489.JPG
    IMG_4489.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4490.JPG
    IMG_4490.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 0