In tank fuel pump for Sniper efi

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

73429mach

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1
1972 Mustang Mach 1 under construction
Does anyone know if a in tank stock fuel pump housing hanger from a Fox body Mustang would work in the 71-73 fuel tank, where the vapor return line goes on top of the tank? If so, would it work with the Holley Sniper Efi? Like this one 
HP10146X__ra_p.jpg

No personal experience but just looking at it the lines and electrical connector look to tall to fit under the trunk floor. There isn't a lot of room between the top of the tank and the trunk floor.

Like TommyK mentioned there isnt much room above the tank in that spot. I went with a hyperfuel kit which is likely a little shorter than the one in your pic, but even still I had to cut an access in my trunk to make it work. Now with that said my trunk floor wasnt in perfect shape anyways, and even when I redo it I will likely keep the access since it will make life better if I ever have to pull the pump (which I have had to do while troubleshooting). Im half way through making a door for it that will have some weatherstripping and a quicklatch to hold it shut. Otherwise if it fits that would likely be a nice way of doing it. I went with the Hyperfuel because it is internally regulated so I didnt need to run a return line. 

20200627_200236.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I duplicated this

No need to cut the trunk floor. My car is still in a million pieces though so no idea how it'll work.

Another option to consider.

Noticed in the pic that you had a space saver spare but not a fold down. So your car must have came with Magnum 500 wheels. You got space saver spare with them.
Any car optioned with F60-15 tires received the space saver spare, whether it was the plain steel wheel or the Magnum. 

There's a couple guys on some of the 71-73 FB groups have used the Fox pump setup for EFI. You do have to futz with the lines to clear the trunk floor. 

Any car optioned with F60-15 tires received the space saver spare, whether it was the plain steel wheel or the Magnum. 
Ya if that was in regards to mine it did not come with the Magnum wheels, it had the deep dish hub caps. I have the space saver spare but the can that went with it is long gone so I will likely either fine a different spare for it, or have thought about using one of the tire goo/inflator kits. 

Two problems with retrofitting an in-tank EFI fuel pump, the lack of a sump or baffling to keep the intake continuously submerged in gas and removing the vent to the tank. Our cars do not have vented caps to comply with emissions and safety standards. You can get around the venting by installing a vented cap. Some universal EFI pumps have a small sump, like this one:

Summit Racing SUM-250151 Summit Racing® Retrofit In-Tank Fuel Pumps | Summit Racing

Aeromotive is a good option, but very pricey. 

1971 FORD MUSTANG Aeromotive 18169 Aeromotive Gen II Stealth Fuel Tanks | Summit Racing

McRobb and FiTech have under-the-hood surge tanks, but hard to find a place for them, and not a lot cheaper than than the Aeromotive tank.

There's a couple guys on some of the 71-73 FB groups have used the Fox pump setup for EFI. You do have to futz with the lines to clear the trunk floor.

Hi! I did exactly what you suggested and it worked perfectly! Thanks

Kilgon posted a pump on the vent location, which included a vent line. Small dense foam pieces at the top of the tank eliminated any fuel line issues. Maybe you should take a look.

I did a write up on doing a conversion using the fox body hanger. I am currently running a Sniper and have switched the pump that I used in the write up to the Holley Sniper fuel pump # 19-369. I also modified the hanger to straightened it out more when I made this second pump change. Holley highly recommends using a 3/8 lines for both the feed and return from the efi. The tech told me you could get by with a 5/16 return but not to go any smaller. After I installed the sniper I ran two new lines - both 3/8 - supply and return. I am using the original outlet on the sending unit on the side of the tank for my return. I am also using the original vent line from the canister versus making a new one or going to a vented cap. As for a lack of sump or baffle as Don c mentioned Holley makes a Hydramat #16-124 that should fit the pump that will help solve that issue. So far I have not had any issues and the car runs great.

I did a simple swap using an aeromotive drop in tank. 340 l/hr pump pre installed. The tank was a drop in. My original tank was rusted out. I'll be running 8an feed line and 6an return. This is a 392 stroked cleveland with a 4R70W transmission Holley Terminator X Max port efi. Still working on getting back ordered parts in.

I did a simple swap using an aeromotive drop in tank. 340 l/hr pump pre installed. The tank was a drop in. My original tank was rusted out. I'll be running 8an feed line and 6an return. This is a 392 stroked cleveland with a 4R70W transmission Holley Terminator X Max port efi. Still working on getting back ordered parts in.
Are you going to use the Trickflow port EFI manifold?

Hi 73429mach
I went through something similar and I had my Ford part rebuilt by some one. It turned out better but here are drawings I created for EFI with 1973 with 3/8" return line. There were some special one made for a 5/16" return line but I have never seen one. Below is drawings you can send to anyone building an EFI Ford Sender or modify your own. I had Dan modify mine.

Dan & Samantha OHora
TriStarr LLC
(315)-712-0071 M-F 9:30am-4pm EST.
1674160917826.png
1674160960670.png

73429mach, what did you end up doing? I can report Kilgon’s awesome hack using the modified hanger, worked great for me. Have min of 40psi and all the flow I need and I spent very little compared to these near racing fuel pump systems.

I duplicated this

No need to cut the trunk floor. My car is still in a million pieces though so no idea how it'll work.

Another option to consider.

I did this exact setup, I think it works well I have nothing to compare it to. I did have to replace the internal regulator on the sniper with an external one because it would not bring it down to 59lbs. I was wondering if it may have something to do with the volume that pump is moving. Hope it’s helpful info.

Back