Install a Pertronix Ignitor into your classic Mustang!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
01 Bullitt
pertronix_header.jpg

Is the point system in your classic Mustang breaking again? Upgrade to one of the Pertronix Ignitor Electronic Ignitions and experience reliable, dependable performance every time!

Over thirty years ago, Pertronix developed the Ignitor Electronic Ignition to replace troublesome break point and factory electronic ignitions. The Ignitor is not only self-contained, dependable and maintenance free, but it installs quickly and is nearly undetectable under the distributor cap. As an additional benefit, it also increases horsepower, improves fuel economy and extends spark plug life in your 1965-1973 Mustang. It works with most point-type coils, but optimal performance is achieved with a Pertronix Ignition Coil.

The Pertronix Ignitor Electronic Ignitions are available in three different flavors. The standard Ignitor is typically for stock/street cars, while the Ignitor II features many of the same features of the Ignitor, plus a microprocessor to better maintain peak energy throughout the RPM range. The Ignitor III electronic ignitions take it a step further with better performance, working best in performance and racing applications. CJ Pony Parts sells numerous parts in each Ignitor series, depending upon the configuration of your Mustang.

In this week’s installation video, Bill shows you how to install the Pertronix Ignitor system into your Mustang. He gives you a great overview of the product and detailed step-by-step instructions, so you can install this part yourself, in less than a half hour. Check it out.

Special thanks to Pertronix for the parts!

I installed the Ignitor 1 kit a few years back, its really easy, and you can hide the Red wire so it lt still looks stock.

it makes starting up much quicker and I also noticed the throttle responce is much better too.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you install the Ignitor l you can use the resistor wire and your stock Tach will still work. If you go with the Ignitor ll or lll you'll need the dedicated full time 12V wire and if you have the stock Tach, it won't be accurate (if it works at all). I started with the Ignitor lll and have ended up with the Ignitor l and am much happier with it. A great quick and cheap upgrade over points.

Jim

I got one for my car way back in the 20th century. There were not multiple versions avilabel so guessing I have what is now I. It has over 300k miles on and has more than paid for itself since I am now getting 50-60k miles per set of spark plugs compared to about 10 to 12k miles per set with points.

I used to have the install instructions for it in the car in case it went bad and I neded to convert back to points but they have long gone missing.

Back