Installation of doors - better with hinges or without?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1 T5 Q-Code 4-Speed
The fenders are removed, I have full access to the a pillar posts. The hinges are rebuilt, the doors restored and painted but empty, all is ready for reassembly.

Would you better mount the hinges on the doors first and install them with the hinges on or is it better to install the hinges on the a pillar post and then mount the doors on the hinges?

I think it is a personal preference thing. I prefer to mount the hinges on the doors and then to the body when I hang the doors. I have friends that are professional body men that do it this way also. I have one friend that is a body man that tells me that is stupid, because then you have to manage the weight of the door shells and the the hinges. If you hang the hinge on the body, you are only managing the weight of the door shell. That makes perfect sense, but I still mount the hinges to the door first because that is how I have always done it.

I think it is a personal preference thing. I prefer to mount the hinges on the doors and then to the body when I hang the doors. I have friends that are professional body men that do it this way also. I have one friend that is a body man that tells me that is stupid, because then you have to manage the weight of the door shells and the the hinges. If you hang the hinge on the body, you are only managing the weight of the door shell. That makes perfect sense, but I still mount the hinges to the door first because that is how I have always done it.

Thanks for your comment and opinion. I thought too that it is easier to mount the hinges to the doors first and then bolt them down with the door to the car. This way perhaps aligning the hinges with the doors is way easier than the other way round. I think the weight of the hinges add not that much to the doors which are heavy chunks of metal anyway...

Thanks for your comment and opinion. I thought too that it is easier to mount the hinges to the doors first and then bolt them down with the door to the car. This way perhaps aligning the hinges with the doors is way easier than the other way round. I think the weight of the hinges add not that much to the doors which are heavy chunks of metal anyway...
I agree that it doesn't add that much weight and I find it easier to mount them to the doors first.

Back