Insulator Frame Mount bolts

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boxgranch

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Base Convertible 302
I bought the bolt kit for the motor mount to the frame which in Ford parlance is apparently the insulator, motor mount. This is the AMK kit which is usually a perfect match for the originals. The car is a 72 convertible with a later engine. I have read that convertibles may have an alternate mount from the others, but the mounts I bought appear to be a good match for what was in the car and the new bolts match the old bolts. The point of confusion is that the bolts are 3/8" and a very loose fit in the holes both on the part bolted to the frame as well as the new mounts bolted to the engine. It appears that a 7/16" bolt would provide a snug fit. Is a loose fit here normal, perhaps to allow some slop for getting the engine in place or was this some form of jury rig to get the 76 engine from who knows stuffed into the 72 convertible? We are getting close to getting the beast back together (prays welcomed) and I am always paranoid about engines moving about in the engine bay. We are also at that stage of running into irritations like not being able to find a part or discovering something won't fit with the new configuration.

Thanks!

Thanks! I wonder why AMK supplies a 3/8-16 and that was what was on the car. This is the single long bolt on each side that hold the part on the frame to the part on the engine together and runs the length of the car. If I recall correctly, the bolts that hold the parts to the engine and frame are 7/16-14.

The long through-bolt (56345) that joins the insulator to the frame bracket is 3/8-16 X 4 11/16" long. The frame bracket to crossmember bolts are 3/8"-16. The insulator to block are 7/16"-14 and are a special flange head tri-oval locking bolt.

71_72_V8_MOTOR_TRANS_MOUNTS.JPG

1648745764658.png

Thank you Hemikiller! That is what was on the car and what I have to replace the old ones with. I enjoy using new hardware when possible. I presume the oversize holes are to allow for variations from car to car.

Back