INSURANCE: How much cover do you have?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach1
I was just wondering what kind of insurance most of you the members have. My car is not on the road yet, I still need to invest around $5000 more less.

I know its a money pit, but what will your insurance cover in case something happens???

I was just wondering what kind of insurance most of you the members have. My car is not on the road yet, I still need to invest around $5000 more less.

I know its a money pit, but what will your insurance cover in case something happens???
Check into getting what they call builders insurace. You can increase it as you go and if something happens along the way you are covered.

I have mine through Hagerty $25k on finished car plus $12k on spare parts was $173 annual no deductables, and builders on the mustang $12k plus $12k parts for an additional $80 annually.

Mine will be through either Hagerty or Grundy (leaning towards Hagerty though) and should run about $150/year. Never heard a bad thing about either of them.

Same here Hagerty, for $20,000, about $190 a month, Great company. They cover all the glass in your car, even if you break it, trying to take off molding. Dang old molding.

Have California legal right now. Covers everything except the car itself. Go figure.

Have max liability, "in case you hit a Bentley", my agent says.

If I want the car covered I was told to get it appraised, that's all.

Companies that offer classic car insurance usually have restrictions.

Don't know about my insurer, Farmers.

mike

I had good experience getting quoted by my local State Farm agent on upgrading the Tiger's insurance. All it took were some pics and an appraisal from a local body shop (one of their direct repair shops). As long of the agreed value was below $50K, the shop's appraisal was good enough. If value was above 50K, a full 3rd party appraisal had to be done (not needed in my case).

Cost worked out to be about $30 additional annually over just liability, @ $45K. ::thumb::

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't even know there was such thing as builders insurance. Man, I love this forum.

Dudes, I have mine through American Modern. Full stated value on a total loss , $2000.00 parts. $75.00 towing per claim (Flatbed guaranteed) and you pick your mileage. 2.5k, 5k, 10k or unlimited and up to $600.00 for trip interruption. I

I put a value of $30,000.00 on mine (no appraisal, just pics. But I do know one guy they told his stated value of $25000. was too high for a 66 coupe) with 5k miles and it only costs me

$250.00 a YEAR.

If your in Southern Calif shoot me a message and I'll give you my guy's (gall actually) number. If not google American Modern Insurance.

Back