Intake sucking air and not in a good way!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1, Q code 351CJ, 4 speed.
Finally figured out why I'm getting a bad backfire and have a loud whistling sound.  The intake is leaking really bad.  I found it by spraying brake clean around the edges.  I guess I should have used the turkey pan after all and not just those thin gaskets.  I have a set of thick performance felpro gaskets this time.  I guess this was self inflicted. 

The new performance gaskets did not come with a turkey pan so I assume that I don't use one with these thicker gaskets.

Just use the regular gaskets on the heads and a BIG thick bead of silicone at the front and rear. No turkey pan. Torque down to spec. Let it sit overnight for silicone to set up. then run it. I used edelbrock gaskets on mine last time.

Not sure guys.

Ford had tons of resources and tons of development dollars to figure out that the turkey pan was the right call for the 4V intake.  I always use a turkey pan, and I have never had an intake leak problem.  

Swim at your own risk.....

kcmash

I disagree on the "silicone" or RTV. Buy a tube of "The Right Stuff". It isn't cheap, but it will last and if you sell the car, it won't come back to bite you.

Just my opinion.

I disagree on the "silicone" or RTV. Buy a tube of "The Right Stuff". It isn't cheap, but it will last and if you sell the car, it won't come back to bite you.

Just my opinion.
I actually bought this stuff for this next gasket replace.

::thumb::

Before you swap the gasket out, retorque the intake in the factory pattern. I had a couple loosen up on me over the years when using performance aftermarket gaskets.

+1, on using Right Stuff. Like most I had been using regular RTV, but not liking it. The parts, like a differential cover, that I took apart had a red silicone-like sealer that was denser and stuck a lot better than RTV sealer. I finally asked a guy I knew at the parts counter at the local Ford dealer what is was. He brought out a tube of Ford Ultra Silicone sealer. I don't remember what the price was, but it made me take a deep breath before I bought it. Kind of like the first tube of silicone spark plug grease I bought, Ford was the only place I could find it. Finally they came out with Right Stuff, it was much cheaper and the same as the Ford sealer. The prices are comparable now. Ford has several different ones, now, for different applications, just easier to get Right Stuff at a parts store than mess around with a parts counter person at Ford, or to wait for it to come from Amazon.

Just my opinion.

Actually, today I noticed a new (to me) product from Permatex. I don't remember the exact name, but it is a black RTV gasket maker that is supposed be more resistant to oil and temp variation. But I still think I'd use the Right Stuff as it's proven.

Don't you just hate it when you have to go back and do the job again! Been there.

Geoff.

Just my opinion.

Actually, today I noticed a new (to me) product from Permatex. I don't remember the exact name, but it is a black RTV gasket maker that is supposed be more resistant to oil and temp variation. But I still think I'd use the Right Stuff as it's proven.

Don't you just hate it when you have to go back and do the job again! Been there.

Geoff.
I said silicone in my original post just as a generic term. I apologize for any confusion. But I do use the black RTV gasket maker or the Ford Perma-gasket. Both work very well and are oil and gas resistant.

+Many to The Right Stuff. Practice on how to make a thick bead. You can put the manifold in place beforehand to get an idea of the gap. The gap was more than what i expected and the first time i did this a few years ago i didnt do a good job. The second time it looked beautiful and sealed great. I kept the turkey pan and cut it so the runners seal against the gasket. A few people here have done the same and there are a few pictures around, there is one in my threas but i dont have access right now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Ok so I still have the new turkey pan from the first gasket set I bought.  This new performance gasket set from felpro has thicker gaskets.  Should I use the turkey pan from the first kit on top of the performance gasket set or would I be running the risk of yet another failed intake install since the new gaskets are thicker and came without a turkey pan?

Hopefully my question makes sense.

The oil splash tray is only meant to be used with the two very thin gaskets that come with it. The crush of the tray on the two thin gaskets is what provides the seal. Trimming the sides off of the tray off the tray is a PITA and makes sealing the ends of the tray and intake more difficult. I would not suggest doing that. The Fel-Pro Prito-O-Seal intake gaskets are meant to be used on race engines that aren't together for years at a time. Eventually they delaminate and leak. If you re-torque to stop the leak, they may come apart and be sucked into the engine. I learned this the hard way. There is a reason some people call them Print-O-Leak gaskets. Good Luck, Chuck

Hello, sounds like you already have gaskets but I have had great luck with these Mr Gasket

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mrg-5836/overview/make/ford

I have had the Felpro print o seals fail. Seems the bead of silicone printed in there is too thick and extrudes or deforms the gasket paper as it’s torqued. Maybe they are better now or updated the design. Felpro makes good products.

I have swapped intakes at least a dozen times on Clevelands. I spray the gasket with a mist of  3m contact adhesive and let dry until tacky. Lay gaskets on a cleaned cylinder head surface with lacquer thinner or acetone or similar to remove all oils and they will not move. Use a large bead of rtv on the end rails and let dry overnight.

Hang the turkey pan in the garage to show your friends the size of the ports.

Good luck and nice car!

I got the intake off yesterday and cleaned all the gasket surfaces.  I am sure the leak was because I did not use the turkey pan that came with the kita and only used the thin gasket.  So basically it was my own fault for having to do this job again.  On the plus side I found 2 plug wires that were coming apart and I am sure were not firing or firing inconsistently.

Dumb question.  The plug wires have the male ends that fit inside the cap not the ends that snap on a caps with "posts".  I am having a hard time finding the wires I need.  Am I right in referring to them as "male" connectors?  Is there another word I should use when asking for them at the parts store?  Its a Mallory unilite distributor so I suppose I cant just ask for wires that will fit my engine and expect them to be correct.  Hopefully this questions makes sense. :D

I got the intake off yesterday and cleaned all the gasket surfaces.  I am sure the leak was because I did not use the turkey pan that came with the kita and only used the thin gasket. 

Dumb question.  The plug wires have the male ends that fit inside the cap not the ends that snap on a caps with "posts".  I am having a hard time finding the wires I need.  Am I right in referring to them as "male" connectors?  Is there another word I should use when asking for them at the parts store?  Its a Mallory unilite distributor so I suppose I cant just ask for wires that will fit my engine and expect them to be correct.  Hopefully this questions makes sense. :D
If you only used the two thin paper gaskets from the turkey pan gasket kit - that's your leak. I have used teh turkey pan on every 351C I've built. I typically toss the paper gaskets and use the pan, with an 1/8" bead of my favorite RTV type product around each port on both sides of the pan, and a bead on each of the end walls. Apply the bead on the heads and block, let it set up for 10mins or so, then drop the pan in place and repeat on the pan itself. Did this after my first installation leaked and have had no issues with them since. 

If your distributor cap has female receptacles, then you can use a stock wire set. If they are male, like the end of a spark plug, then get a set for a mid-70's Ford truck with a 351M or 400.

154_STANDARD%20MOTOR%20PRODUCTS_FD129_1__ra_p.jpg

I got the intake off yesterday and cleaned all the gasket surfaces.  I am sure the leak was because I did not use the turkey pan that came with the kita and only used the thin gasket. 

If you only used the two thin paper gaskets from the turkey pan gasket kit - that's your leak. I have used teh turkey pan on every 351C I've built. I typically toss the paper gaskets and use the pan, with an 1/8" bead of my favorite RTV type product around each port on both sides of the pan, and a bead on each of the end walls. Apply the bead on the heads and block, let it set up for 10mins or so, then drop the pan in place and repeat on the pan itself. Did this after my first installation leaked and have had no issues with them since. 

If your distributor cap has female receptacles, then you can use a stock wire set. If they are male, like the end of a spark plug, then get a set for a mid-70's Ford truck with a 351M or 400.  

154_STANDARD%20MOTOR%20PRODUCTS_FD129_1__ra_p.jpg
  Yeah I just used the thin gaskets and not the pan.  Stupid mistake on my part!! :shootself: 

Thats the cap I have.  Im hoping to find the set I need at pepboys.

Back