interesting cobra II

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a 1974 at 16 and HATED it. It was a V6 Mach 1 automatic. Probably ran 0-60 10.5 seconds with a 19+ quarter mile time. And if you had to turn on the A/C it would not pass a turtle on the road! Okay - maybe a SLOW turtle... LOL But I could not wait to get into a different car! Luckily someone in a Ford pickup crashed into the rear driver's quarter panel and we fixed/sold it quick! It looked OK just was so slow.

There really wasn't much in the way of performance back then. I'm sure that 302 could be hopped up but from the factory it was still a dog. My cousin had one similar to the one in the ad - it was white with the blue stripes. Slow too.

Sorry Mustang II fans. Just my experience with those cars.

Ray

I had a '78 King Cobra for my girlfriend at the time, around 1990 or so. She wanted a nice Mustang, but I was a cheap bastard and didn't want to spend a lot of money on her! I found a pristine silver/ red T-Top King Cobra at a local used-car lot in Boise Idaho for $500. The guy had been trying to sell it for months at that price, with no takers.

I bought it for the girl, she loved it! 4-speed, 302...pretty snappy car. I fell in love with that car.

Eventually, I dumped the girl...kept the car.

I had a '78 King Cobra for my girlfriend at the time, around 1990 or so. She wanted a nice Mustang, but I was a cheap bastard and didn't want to spend a lot of money on her! I found a pristine silver/ red T-Top King Cobra at a local used-car lot in Boise Idaho for $500. The guy had been trying to sell it for months at that price, with no takers.

I bought it for the girl, she loved it! 4-speed, 302...pretty snappy car. I fell in love with that car.

Eventually, I dumped the girl...kept the car.
Yes Kit - I liked the look of the King Cobra version too. Glad yours was/is peppy.

Did you modufy the motor any to boost performance? I always thought it would be pretty easy to gain some HP. Does your King Cobra have a to-loader? Many of the Mustangs of that '74-'78 series had a cheaper (and notchy) transmission.

I'd bet the King Cobras are the most collectible of those cars, too. How many did they make?

Sorry for the 20 (actually 3) questions! LOL

Ray

Back