Interior air vents, control knobs & Cables

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have noticed there is not a knob on either the driver's side or passenger side of my car for the vents on my 1971 Mach 1 that is equipped with air conditioning.  My 1972 back in 1975 had them on either side, but it was not an AC car.  I have owned two 1971's since, and both had the vent knobs....are A/C cars different, or does my 71 just need a few more parts that are not there? :: Thanks mucho for the help!

free picture hosting for ebay
Beautiful car...cars with A/C do not have the vent knobs. One less part you need.

I have noticed there is not a knob on either the driver's side or passenger side of my car for the vents on my 1971 Mach 1 that is equipped with air conditioning.  My 1972 back in 1975 had them on either side, but it was not an AC car.  I have owned two 1971's since, and both had the vent knobs....are A/C cars different, or does my 71 just need a few more parts that are not there? :: Thanks mucho for the help!

free picture hosting for ebay
Beautiful car...cars with A/C do not have the vent knobs. One less part you need.
thanks for the compliment! It is a nice car.....do they not have separate vent controls? or are all the controls in the center stack? I am just wondering how to open those vents!

On A/C cars there is only one fresh air vent and that is in the passenger side cowl. The driver side vent on A/C cars is blocked off. The fresh air vent control is part of the climate control selector in the center console. If you look at it you will see a vent option along with the A/C and heat options. Also keep in mind that these vents are opened and closed using engine vacuum. You should have a bunch of small rubber vacuum lines running from the center control to the air box under the passenger side dash and two that exit thru the center of the firewall.

Last edited by a moderator:
On A/C cars there is only one fresh air vent and that is in the passenger side cowl. The driver side vent on A/C cars is blocked off. The fresh air vent control is part of the climate control selector in the center console. If you look at it you will see a vent option along with the A/C and heat options. Also keep in mind that these vents are opened and closed using engine vacuum. You should have a bunch of small rubber vacuum lines running from the center control to the air box under the passenger side dash and two that exit thru the center of the firewall.
Thanks Rich! It all seems to be working properly!

Latest posts

Back