Interior restoration

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible H Code, 351C 2V FMX
Well, I've had "Next up: Interior :-/ " on my sig line for awhile, so I figured I'd better either change the sig line or get started on the interior :-/ .

Driver's door panel is shot, driver seat has seams coming apart, and rear seat has seam coming apart as well. There's a few other minor repairs needed, too.

Here's some pics:

Drivers Door Panel (Small).JPG

Driver door panel

Passenger door panel (Small).JPG

Passenger door panel

Drivers Seat from above (Small).JPG

Rear seat seam

Where would you start? I'm itching to look under the carpet for the build sheet. Is is worth pulling out the seat(s) to fish for it, knowing the seat repairs needed?

Rear seat seam (Small).JPG

+ 1 - I would pull it out

door panels 314.95

door pulls 60.00 looks like your bottom tab will be broken

full set of upholstery 359.95

Hey doc!!! Nice to see youre hands full of restoration!! jeje

Well.. as everyone said i guess you should go for fully dissambled the interior... It is almost sure you have the carpet shoot too so if it is so.. you have no other choice than take all apart...

When i say "all" i don´t necesarily mean ALL... If i were you and if you are not going for a massive job, i´ll leave the dashboard, glove box, instrument panel and all the things that are linked to the steering... as is... That is another thing that you may or may not need to redo...

Apart from that, i guess if you are going for the seats, carpet, door panels (you should look on the condition of the quarter trim panels comparing to the new door panels you´re gonna get... I´m possitive some work will need to be done there too...), package tray (if the verts actually need it :) ) is another thing that you can at least look and see if you like it as is...

Then you can use this moment to look at the window regulators too... that is a pain in the *** if you have to work on it with your interior new... Maybe as you are gonna have the door and quarter trim panels off, you should get a weatherstrip kit for them... there is a kit that does the upper quarter trim panels seal to the glass, inside and outside... the same for the doors... Dont remember the actual name of this kit but is a pretty long yellow box :) Don should know what i´m talking about...

What else??... Console for instance.. as the seats will be out, it is the best time to work on it if it is needed... Usually, even if the console is ok, as it is gonna be out to take out the old carpet, you can change the rubber seal in the stick...

Ehmmmm... sound insulator on the floor.... Ehmmmm..

Well.. if anything else come up, i´ll tell you! :) Hope it helps!!

Pulling the seats out is really not a big deal. I, too, would go for it while you are doing the interior.

It sounds like you are "on it", my Friend...makes me feel guilty for spending so much time on my '69", while neglecting "Fire."

BT

Thanks everyone for the tips! Damian - good to see you back here my friend. Thanks for your ideas.

I'll start disassembly and see what comes up. The carpet is still in great shape so I might not mess with it except to inspect the floor pans and look for the build sheet. My Mustang piggy bank is still pretty dry, so it''ll give me time to clean and collect parts.

Updates and pics as I make progress (as well as the usual many questions :s )!

Where would you start? I'm itching to look under the carpet for the build sheet. Is is worth pulling out the seat(s) to fish for it, knowing the seat repairs needed?

I because the support system under the would definitely pull the seats and look into getting the metal springs replaced as well as the foam. Once you start losing seams it is usually because the support system for the upholstery is weak. The only way to stop losing seams is to redo what supports the vinyl.

Just my engineering experience talking here. Take it or leave it.

I because the support system under the would definitely pull the seats and look into getting the metal springs replaced as well as the foam. Once you start losing seams it is usually because the support system for the upholstery is weak. The only way to stop losing seams is to redo what supports the vinyl.

Just my engineering experience talking here. Take it or leave it.

If you are just looing for your build sheet

Try loosening the 3 bolts - 1 nut on the seat tracks to floor base

If they are siezed - then wait as the weld nuts may snap

If they come loose - seat will pop right out and carpet is sectioned right under the seat

On 72 and 3 you will have a wire for the seat sensor

If the car has auto seat release system there will be another wire to unplug

Take off the sill plate and you can lift up the carpet and feel around for the sheet

As long as bolts come out easy it should be a couple of hours job and nothing would need replaced.

Stupid question, what is a build sheet?

No stupid questions here.

The way I understand it, the build sheet is what the factory worker(s) used to "build" the car, which would include the possible accessories like trim (based on the "build" codes) and other parts that made the car possibly unique compared to others.

My 2 cents, anyway. Others here know much more.

To go with the above post :

I found my build sheet in the driver side footwell but could be found anywhere they decided to leave it.. also check under seats in the springs..

depending on the area you might find it intact or a smudge where it used to be.

Mine was in good shape considering where it was, its readable in person besides the lower left corner which didn't make it.

TxR4L.jpg

Back