interior smells

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had issues.. twice.. with mice making nests and... marking.... in the base of the rear seat back in my '73 convertible. I've had a long talk with my cats that like to sleep on the car about their not carrying their weight, but they didn't seem to be that interested! I cleaned it with a pet urine cleaner this last time which seemed to do the job. Drier sheets and peppermint (another suggestion) did no good.

Hey David, where did you get that round plastic/foam piece?
If you are talking about the foam in the picture of the heater air box it comes in the foam repair kit for our cars. Don @ Ohio Mustang will have them. Carpenter produces them. The original seal in that area was a molded part and looks nothing like what they sent. The two pieces they send instead of one works our good for sandwiching the wire mesh. Some of the foam seals they sent just would not work the one that goes between the blower box and the dash vents was useless, no where near thick enough. I just cut a piece of thicker foam and put on with carpet tape and put the dash in. Also there was nothing to go on the defroster to seal it and I just cut some other foam to close that up.

Update....

Definitely no mammels inside the car. Smell comes from steering wheel, sort of like puke.

Pulled the steering wheel (thanx, Hemi), put it in dish washer and got yelled at from wife (she had all rights to do so, the smell went into the dish washer and it took several empty runs to get it out again, so DON´T do that). The smell on the steering wheel was still there, but at least all the dirt, that built up over the decades, was gone. The plastic turned whitish/foggy and developed some ugly gray stains, probably from where the remaining water dried up in the dish washer, so again, DON´T put the steering wheel in the dish washer. I then painted the wheel with two thin coats of matt black and now I am still in the process of putting on some coats of clear.

Will this cure the problem? I don´t know. I did expect the smell to vaish by the time I put on the base coat, but everytime I enter the garage I can still notice it slightly. I might end up buying a repro steering wheel and even if they are in the threehundreds I probably would have been better off doing this in the first place. Is CJ a decent place to buy?

I had that sort of smell too (like puke or even poo), but extense wash per Hand with soap and water got rid of that mostly on my 2-spoke wheell. I think it is because the plastic decay process after 45 years togehter with human remains in the soft plastic as hand sweat etc. ... But my 3-spoke-wheel has that smell not, at most latent.

If you need a new one buy it here:

https://www.ohiomustang.com/store/order_page.asp?itemid=3354

Perhaps you need the other parts too - he has it all, is very helpful and kind, low and fast on shipping and has overall the best prices and parts quality you can get for our cars.

Back