Interior upgrades?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cazsper

Reaction score
My Car
1968 Coupe: 393w, TKO-600, Maier Racing springs, Global West suspension, Currie 9in with forged axles, 3.50 gears, Trutrac, Baer brakes front/rear
1973 Mach-1: 351c 4V, C-6, 3.73:1 gears and a long "To Do" list..
I would like to upgrade the interior of my '73 Mach-1. Has anyone done anything to spice up the look of their interior? I have considered installing a newer dash but not sure what that would entail. Of course I'm thinking new carpet, sport seats and Autometer gauges.. Pics would be nice if you have them.. I appreciate it..

Mike

Well, If you're thinking about keeping it non-custom, the deluxe interior is really nice in my opinion. I put in custom engine gauges because i couldn't afford the mach 1 dash cluster and it turned out pretty nice. All I did was cut out 3 holes in some aluminum stock and screw it into where the little cubby hole that the map light is in.::thumb::

Another addition I did was put in roll-down 1/4 windows out of a coupe. Its a bolt-in and really adds a nice touch.:cool:

Lemme know what you decide to do!

Mine's "mostly" stock with some add-ons, subtle changes. So far:

• changed wood grain vinyl into black carbon fiber vinyl (3M Di-Noc)
  • Grant Classic GT 3-spoke wheel w/black grip
  • ACC cut-pile carpet
  • Lloyd's "Mach 1" cut-pile floor mats
  • Retrosound Model 2 stereo system
  • Autoloc power windows, locks, and alarm (need to find/make some black caps for the regulators)
  • Pyle Audio back-up camera w/7" monitor between sunvisors
  • TMI Products Sport Seat Deluxe (Mach 1) seats
  • Raamat sound deadening
  • Classic Auto Air HVAC
  • carpeted the package tray

HPIM1055.JPG

Well, I have an empty gauge cluster I have started adding Autometer Sport Comp gauges to. When I got my Mach-1, it was pretty bad. The factory seats reclimed (all the way back) and it didn't have a back seat. I ordered everything I needed for the back seat from Don at OMS. I have just put a milk crate with a 2x4 to hold the seat back up. Totally ghetto I know.i just can't afford seats right now. So far, that's all I've done to the inside. I'm just looking for ideas. I would really like to make it look like a '94+ mustang. My '95 GT always reminded me of am updated '71-'73.

Once I figure out the interior, I'm planning a stereo system.. A whole other headache..

I almost forgot, how would I go about changing the rear 1/4 windows so they roll down?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the quarter window roll-up conversion as well.

You'll need to score a set of quarter window regulators & hardware from a coupe or 'vert. Bolt's right in, and uses the existing glass - getting them all adjusted so everything's happy will take a bit of work, but it's not horrible.

Check with Don at OMS, Motorcity Mustang, or some of the other vendors here - they've all got some nice 'parts cars' they can go to for these things. ::thumb::

I used 72flatback's tutorial. Worked flawlessly:D

HERE's THE LINK:

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-fastback-quarter-windows?page=2

That tutorial of mine on the wiki section has had over 8000 views; makes me wonder how many of those viewers have actually been inspired enough by it to convert their fastback windows to roll-downs. In another 30 years time the 7173 Mustang boffins might be looking at their Son-of-Marti reports wondering why the roll-down option isn't listed when some fastbacks have roll-downs and some don't....

Sounds good.. Thanks..

I've seen the rear side panels covered in padded leather or vinyl-it is a nice look and I would imagine it adds to sound deadening.

I think a leather covered Dash Pad if well done would look great and should be a fairly easy job for a good upholsterer.

If you have a fold down rear seat option, you could eliminate the carpet covering of the panels and go with a lightly padded leather wrap to match the suggested leather wrap of the rear interior panels.

Customizing the standard door panels would be fairly easy, but the deluxe panels are really nice in my opinion.

I upgraded to TMI Sport seat foam and upholstery on my front seats and wish I had gone a different route. They look like they belong, but they don't appreciably feel any better than the stock ones did and they have no recline mechanism. If I had to do it again, I'd look for some later model Mustang seats and have them recovered.

I've seen dashes painted body color or with body color accents and have seen the same done to the bezels around the gauges and center stack-not my cup of tea, but if tastefully done, you might like it.

retractable seat belts are another good looking and functional modification

and finally-a rear view camera set up would be handy and could be made to look pretty darn cool.

I upgraded to TMI Sport seat foam and upholstery on my front seats and wish I had gone a different route. They look like they belong, but they don't appreciably feel any better than the stock ones did and they have no recline mechanism. If I had to do it again, I'd look for some later model Mustang seats and have them recovered.

>

and finally-a rear view camera set up would be handy and could be made to look pretty darn cool.
Hey Jeff, I was bummed about the no-recline feature on our seats as well. But, I just "forgot" to put the stoppers and hardware back in, which gave me a little bit more "recline" (if you will). I'll probably look for some better seats later with the intent of having some recline, but I'm quite happy with the TMI Sport Seat upholstery and foam... it's WAY better than the stock "smooshed" seats, IMHO.

I'll be sure to get some pics of the back-up camera installation. I've been searching high and low for an affordable folding bracket for months, and I think I finally found one - even though it's a tank bag mount for a GPS... the standard GPS mounting brackets are either "ball & socket" style (offering no 'flip-up/down' capability), or are suction cup to the windshield - which is so very NOT permanent. Since I didn't want the hassle of a dedicated monitor in-place of the rear view mirror (and I hate the little tiny 2" pics in the hybrid mirrors - can't see squat, IMHO), I've been working on a solution. The goal is for the monitor to fold-up against the roof when not in-use, and flip-down when I want to use it.

The monitor is a Pyle Audio PLCM8200 intended to 'clip-on' to the rear view mirror.

http://www.pyleaudio.com/sku/PLCM8200/81-TFT-LCD-Monitor-w-Dual-Universal-Mount,-Rear-View-and-Backup-Color-CMD-Distance-Scale-Line-Camera

It comes with its own camera, but requires some creative mounting to keep it out of sight. So, I also picked up a Pyle Audio license plate bracket camera which reviewed better anyway.

http://www.pyleaudio.com/sku/PLCM18BC/License-Plate-Mount-Rear-View-Backup-Parking-Assist-Camera,-Night-Vision-LEDs,-Built-in-Distance-Scale-Lines,-Waterproof,-Zinc-Black-Chrome

The biggest issue with that camera is where it mounts, the factory license plate light will blind the night-vision. So, I also picked up some of those license plate fasteners with LEDs in them.

http://www.customdynamics.com/illuminatorz_licence_plates.htm#LED_Tag_Bolts

So now, I should have a lit license plate, back-up camera securely mounted out of the way without having to cut or drill anything, and the monitor should fold-up & down between the sun-visors as necessary.

Like I said, pics and more information will come - I'm still waiting on the bracket to show up.

--------------------------------

Thanks DK!

I'm holding out for a three camera system. I think I can remove the reflective coating from the back of the side view mirrors in a small spot on each side and mount the cameras inside the housing. That way I can have blind spot cameras. Still looking for just the right parts and the time and money to do everything I want. Ahead of this modification I have to work on my roll bar/cage.

An idea for rear view mirror cameras is to use a relay powered by the reverse light to break the circuit to the license plate light while reverse is engaged.

Use a normally closed relay for such a project and you won't have the license plate light washing out the camera

I Went with a white dash, double din radio and a major sound system being installed now.
Wow, doesn't the white dash cover reflect in the windshield like crazy? I have a hard time seeing out the windshield when the sun shines on my black one, but white....!?

Posted this before, but relevant to the discussion on blindspot cameras.

I put this camera on a small bracket under the sunvisor clamp, which because of it's position it is barely visible from outside the car.

cam1.jpg

Here's a tip: don't use a standard wide angle reversing camara for this job - I first used one of these and it was near useless in that the cars in the blindspot showed up ridculously small and hard to see on the screen because of the wide angle lens. So I took the wide angle one out and replaced it with a 12 volt "spy camera" like this one.

Wholesale--New-420TVL-Tiny-font-b-Screw-b-font-Wired-Color-CCTV-Security-Surveillance-font.jpg_220x220.jpg

This type of camera doesn't distort the image at all and keeps the view of other cars in the blind spot at a size that you can see much easier. You can see the actual on-road results in this pic (left screen):

cam_3.jpg

I Went with a white dash, double din radio and a major sound system being installed now.
Wow, doesn't the white dash cover reflect in the windshield like crazy? I have a hard time seeing out the windshield when the sun shines on my black one, but white....!?
Still restoring I've been told a few time this may be a problem. Im going to keep a black carpeted dash pad in the trunk just in case. I just let the my restoration guy run wild with the project. My car is should be wrapping up soon. I just hope the sound system comes out nice.

Back