Intermediate Exhaust Pipe

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helicopter

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang, 351 Cleveland 2bbl. vinyl roof.
1973 Mustang
351 Cleveland 2V
Single exhaust

Hi folksl

I am restoring my '73 and bought an exhaust Pipe (p/n 4469) but it hangs way too low and when I tried to install the silencer I found out that it is also too long.

Does anyone know what the actual length of the Intermediate Pipe for the 351 2V is supposed to be?

This is definitely NOT the right one.  I am thinking that perhaps this one goes to a dual exhaust.

TNX

Roy

Message one of our very valued members; Bkdunha (Brian).  He performed an impressive concourse restoration on his 1972 Mach 1 to concourse level and should have information on that original exhaust setup. 

https://7173mustangs.com/forums/profile/292-bkdunha/ 

Good luck.

Ray

The present intermediate pipe is about 35 inches long  (89 cm).  That is too long and it hangs really low.

Something is wrong and I highly suspect I have the wrong pipe.

Does anyone know how long this thing should be?

4469 doesn't come up in any searches I made. Looking back, I see you bought the system from Mustangs Unlimited. They carried exhaust from Precision Exhaust here in CT. It's very possible that they sent you the wrong pipe, it was made incorrectly, or some other reason. You've been struggling with this issue for what, a year now? At this point, I'd just bring the car to an exhaust shop and have them make an intermediate pipe to fit so you can move on to other projects. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the p/n wrong.  It is a 44369. 
I inquired to NPD and theirs is about same length 37 & 3/4".  TOO LONG !!!!!
All the parts suppliers insist this is the right intermediate exhaust pipe.  NEGATIVE !!!

I feel very frustrated but I am not going to let this get the better of me.

I think you are right.  I think maybe MU sent me the pipe for a dual exhaust.;  From the pix, it looks like maybe they are just a bit longer than the single intermediate pipe.

TNX, Mate

Roy

This has long-ceased to be funny.
Mustangs Unlimited sent me an intermediate exhaust pipe for a '71 with a DUAL exhaust---too long.  Will not fit.

Today I got one from CJ Pony parts.   Once again they insisted on sending one for a DUAL exhaust.

It came from Pennsylvania.  I suppose they are still confused whilst trying to count votes.

SAM_1799.JPG

This has long-ceased to be funny.
Mustangs Unlimited sent me an intermediate exhaust pipe for a '71 with a DUAL exhaust---too long.  Will not fit.

Today I got one from CJ Pony parts.   Once again they insisted on sending one for a DUAL exhaust.

It came from Pennsylvania.  I suppose they are still confused whilst trying to count votes.

I thought the issue was the angle?  What part # did CJ send you? Precision Exhaust shows the 44369 as the correct 71-73 single exhaust intermediate pipe, and they provide most of the parts houses with their exhaust systems. I'd call them and see what they say. Maybe you have the wrong Y-pipe? Where did that come from?

https://12e70de6-0174-07f0-4763-2bd2a7d85cc9.filesusr.com/ugd/05f2cc_bd039ea85f7ffc5f4f79856c50e3f76a.pdf

CJ sent me #44370.  They assured me it was the right pipe.  It hangs way too low and it is too long.
NPD has a #44369 but it looks identical to the 44370.
I'll keep trying.

TNX again

Roy

Personally, I can't believe you're still p*ssing around with so called correct intermediate pipes, waiting for shipping and still not getting a good solution. My suggestion, just take the car to a good exhaust shop and have the system made exactly the way you want it done. If you want totally concours, I'm sure a good technician with quality equipment could make one so close, no-body would ever notice. If not, who cares.

I did that for my dual tail pipes on my Mach 1 with staggered shocks because the old ones, on the car when I bought it and probably so-called pre-bent store bought crap, did not fit worth a damn.

Back