Intermittent Carb Fuel Level

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

72vert

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Convertible 351 Cleveland
My car has a 351c with a Quick Fuel 4160 carburetor. A few days ago it started flooding at idle. I figured some crud had gotten in the needle and seat so I took it out and cleaned it. Then every once in a while it would still flood at idle. I replaced the needle and seat and still having the same issue. At idle the fuel level in the bowl will go up and down intermittently. I adjust the fuel level so it is in the center of the sight glass and then it will slowly rise too high and a couple minutes later it will drop too low. Also, if I rev the engine a little bit the level will go too high and stay there for a long time. I just can’t figure out why the level is not consistent. Any ideas?

I would check the floats to make sure they aren’t filled with fuel. The brass ones can leak and the nitrile ones can soak through. I had a brass one develop a pinhole on my Quick Fuel carb. I couldn’t get the fuel level correct on the primary float no matter what I did. I eventually discovered that fuel got into the float, making it too heavy to adjust properly. It drove me nuts till I stumbled upon a bad float. Just remove them and shake to hear if there’s any liquid inside.
Hopefully you can figure it out, good luck!

Back