Introduction

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

red73

Reaction score
My Car
73 convertible
mustang.jpgHave been on the forum for a while and have been amazed at the number of interesting and helpful posts.

I have owned my '73 convertible since about 1984, it replaced my first car which was a silver pewter '72 mach 1 (351 2v) which was totaled thanks to a patch of black ice at night! The '73 runs a 302 which has ported and polished 351W heads with roller rockers, 600 CFM Holley 4 bbl, headers and custom dual exhaust. Other than that the car is stock. It was my daily transportation for many years. The car was restored in the late 80's with new floor pans, lower rear quarters, and repainted about 6 years ago thanks to an idiot in a truck on his cell phone who forgot to stop at a light and instead used me to slow him down! I did the top and interior myself two years ago.

Red73

Higganum, CT

'73 Mustang Convertible

'97 Lincoln Mark VIII

Welcome Red from South Alabama. One more vert...all the other vert guys on here are jumping with excitement. Good looking car! I like the dog dishes...nice clean look.

Welcome to the forums! Glad you signed up...we're glad to have you aboard!

::welcome::

WELCOME aboard!

I like to say that on this Site we have restorers, modifiers and everything in between as it relates to the '71 - '73 Mustangs. I think you will find a perfect fit here:).

I look forward to interacting with you on the individual Forums.

Again, Welcome!

BT

Hello From Sarnia Ontario

Nice car.

Hopefully next spring i will be asking you for top installation tips!

Good Folks here!!!

New myself, I'm sure we'll enjoy/Benefit from the interaction.

Dan @ Chockostang

Hello From Sarnia Ontario

Nice car.

Hopefully next spring i will be asking you for top installation tips!
Err..... ummm.... OK.. from what I remember...

1) Keep kids and sensitive souls out of earshot.

2) Measure your original top's specs (bow height, rib spacing, etc.) before removing the original.

3) Do NOT rely on measurements included with replacement top (see also #2)

4) Double check measurements (see also #1).

5) Do NOT plan on doing the installation and particularly the top to tack strip stapling (which involves standing on your head inside the rear top boot) in 90+ degree weather. (see also #1)

Seriously, it wasn't as bad as all of that, but some care and attention is needed. Do double check all dimensions in any instructions because (at least on my top) the measurements on the original top did not equal those in the instructions. Oddly though the top fit just fine once I made the adjustments.

The biggest issue for me was the rear tack strip along were the top was stapled in. Mine was pretty chewed up in the corners and it was hard to get the staples to bite as well as I would have liked. This is one of those parts that is not (or WAS not when I did mine) reproduced yet.

Red73

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back