Is a factory 4 speed 1971-73 Mach1 more desirable?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PRSONALY I LIKE THE 4 SPEEDS AND MINE IS A 4V 351 AUTO 1973 BUT IF I HAD ALL THE PEDALS AND THE PARTS SHE WOULD BE 4 SPEED IN A HART BEAT OR LOL A 5 SPEED I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE EVERYTHING AND NOT BECAUSE OF PRICE PERPOSES JUST A WANT

Yay for me I have one
Me too, but mine are projects

Don
And as long as you keep donating parts to me they will remain projects :p

Sent someone your way that is rebuilding a '70 Cleveland. He was

"advised" by a "mechanic" to over bore the block by 0.060 and sleeve it :huh:

mike
Mike, you can always send more money, save me a step and make the check out to Erin as she gets it anyways. :D:D:D

Using that bench mark, the C6 Mustangs were rarer in 1971 than the 4-speed cars as there was a total of 6,190 C6 Mustangs versus 7,672 4-speed Mustangs.

BT

Rarity is probably not always what it is cracked up to be as it relates to desirability. I believe it depends upon what an individual is looking for in a transmission.

BT
Thats the truth...I know on the strip people want the big c6 trans."Or some nice TCI atuo trans....My freind has issues with his new ford gt runing it on the quatermile with out buying a "stop the hop kit" that VHT track bite down glue they spray on the strip can break your 4 or 5 speed on that without the kit. and all that built up rubber...Heck your shoes stick just walking on it..lol..With a auto...None of them issues...More consistent times on your passes over all.

4 speed thou so much fun on the street..more power....Usualy rare too in the 70's... Due to the popular auto for big city driving..."been stuck in seattle on hills with a clutch on a trip omg!!" nightmare.....But i have to say i enjoy driving a stick...But in some places...I dont!! get me in a big city with insaine hills ..Omg...Ill beg for a auto..I hate putting a nice clutch threw that abuse:( lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Just throwing in my 2 cents re stick or auto. I sold a 72 Mach1 with a great C6 and 3.50 trac-loc to buy a 73 351 4V top loader convertible. I had really wanted a 4 speed convertible for a long time.

Was the 351 C6 combo a great set up and do I still think about the Mach1? Absolutely. Do I regret buying the 4 speed convertible? Of course not. As others have already said: depending on drivetrain combos and years 4 speeds are rarer. I think there were only 293 351 4V 4 speed convertibles in 73 but what really matters is I just enjoy driving the car.

A Line loc is nice when driving a manual trans and on a steep hill. They're not just for drag racing. :D
Line loc? Sounds like a Subaru kind of thing.
Sure is......But your average toyota truck{like i was in} doesnt have a line loc:( ..and was only a 2 wheel drive:( or i would of put it in low range..lol...so..it was burning clutch day in seattle...lol..They got insaine hills there in the middle of town...i burned off my tires on a few hills there just so i didnt crush the car behind me..lol

Just throwing in my 2 cents re stick or auto. I sold a 72 Mach1 with a great C6 and 3.50 trac-loc to buy a 73 351 4V top loader convertible. I had really wanted a 4 speed convertible for a long time.

Was the 351 C6 combo a great set up and do I still think about the Mach1? Absolutely. Do I regret buying the 4 speed convertible? Of course not. As others have already said: depending on drivetrain combos and years 4 speeds are rarer. I think there were only 293 351 4V 4 speed convertibles in 73 but what really matters is I just enjoy driving the car.
Sure is!!{thumbs up} c6 is a battleship of a transmission...That small bell big block trans is tuff as nails....got it in my mach...its never been rebuilt...I just change the filter once and a while and fluid about every 2 motor oil changes...4 speeds are fun thou..and i would like to have one in a regular mach....I got my hands on a little mustang ii mach 1 with a 4 speed now..lol<~~still got to get some pics for the regulars {sorry all} try to before it snows again!!..lol

For those looking for a rare 1971, 02 code, 4 speed with A/C, check out this one on eBay. While the car has serious rust issues, it blows me away how original this car seems. It's in Florida, USA:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ORIGINAL-MARTI-REPORT-1-0F-1-RESTO-READY-1971-Ford-Mustang-Sportsroof-79K-MI-/140659769865?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item20bff9c209

By the way.....that "only one made" 1971 with a factory 4 speed toploader behind a 351C-2V (H code)....that's mine. It was originally the only 1971 "regular production" G code (Boss 302) made on August 3, 1970 and shipped to LasVegas for the new car show, before Ford cancelled the 71 B2 car. When they pulled the Boss 302 mill out of the car and replaced it with the 351C-2V, leaving all the rest of the original Boss 302 drivetrain, it became a "one of one" that way too ! Cheers !

71boss! Great car! Yours and the one you recomend from eBay!!

I notice this one has the "mustang" word letter by letter on the trunk lid... Is that original?! My car is a 72 standard all the way and I suppose if this letters are original, mine should have them... Actually I didn't find any holes for anything on my trunk lid, but I have the feeling something is missing back there in my car... Any thoughts?!

I don't have an answer to that one. I did see this article in Collector Car that shows a photo (fuzzy though) from the 1971 Ford Sales Brochure. There was a decal across the back of the standard fastback. Maybe others here will have a definite answer. Meanwhile take a look at the grabber yellow Mustang on the top right of this link:

http://www.collectorcarmarket.com/content/profiles/ford_mustang_71-73/Ford_Mustang_71-73.html

-Andy
Totally right Andy... In the grabber yellow one we can see those letters and standard hubcaps... Let´s not highjack this thread:p i´ll post another one with this new doubt... THANKS!

Back